Measuring guages ... a comparitive view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring guages ... a comparitive view

Thought some of you might find this article interesting .. I have to say I use a cheapo from Clarke, and it has sufficed my needs, but its nice to see a technical opinion

Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Originally posted by Muz View Post
    Thought some of you might find this article interesting .. I have to say I use a cheapo from Clarke, and it has sufficed my needs, but its nice to see a technical opinion

Shoot me now !! WTF was that Muz with the amount of pressure he was putting on the slider he could get those to read anything he wanted.
    If you have to apply pressure, you do so on the jaw backs, between thumb and finger, so as not to deflect the spine of the vernier
    what a knob!!!!

I've Mitutoyo and a few others of varying costs ..... have to say they all usually concur ..... I tend to use a mechanical Mitu 99% of the time

God knows how long that took him to upload ..... and for what, other than to listen to his own monotonous drawl ..... there are some samples out there
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I have one of those Mitutoyo's, absolute-versio. Since I only buy good tools, did not even consider buying lower grade. When I need to measure things accurately for a good reason inrather seldom cases, the instrument need to deliver. For measuring 1 mm accuracy even the cheapest sh*te might do.

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        Shoot me now !! Who The F*** was that Muz
        with the amount of pressure he was putting on the slider he could get those to read anything he wanted.
        If you have to apply pressure, you do so on the jaw backs, between thumb and finger, so as not to deflect the spine of the vernier
        what a knob!!!!

I've Mitutoyo and a few others of varying costs ..... have to say they all usually concur ..... I tend to use a mechanical Mitu 99% of the time

God knows how long that took him to upload ..... and for what, other than to listen to his own monotonous drawl ..... there are some samples out there
        Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Just read that last one of mine again and sorry if it sounded churlish Muz ..... wasn't intended that way .... was a poke at the guy in the vid
        he really was a "sample" .....
        TBH, as said, it's not the way to handle the instrument for precision.
        I've never found a lot wrong with the 'cheaper' units available and having checked a few against datums, wouldn't hesitate to use them ..... the discrepancies he was trying to high light were only half a thousandth of an inch and easily generated/overcome, to suit his purposes, with a bit of judicious thumb pressure

He also omitted to emphasize the dependency on temperature/temperature fluctuations, for getting accurate readings
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          Just read that last one of mine again and sorry if it sounded churlish Muz ..... wasn't intended that way .... was a poke at the guy in the vid
          he really was a "sample" .....
          TBH, as said, it's not the way to handle the instrument for precision.
          I've never found a lot wrong with the 'cheaper' units available and having checked a few against datums, wouldn't hesitate to use them ..... the discrepancies he was trying to high light were only half a thousandth of an inch and easily generated/overcome, to suit his purposes, with a bit of judicious thumb pressure

He also omitted to emphasize the dependency on temperature/temperature fluctuations, for getting accurate readings
          Thats alright fella ..wondered if meybees you stubbed your toe or summat before posting ... Ya i think the issue is splitting hairs ..literally .. but I take your point .. wiping jaws, pressure from where, atmospherics, ambient temps causing metal expansion etc etc, the list goes on .. where do you draw the line and make definitive measurement ?
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
          X