Pinion Grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion Grease?

I have greased the slew bearing with Lithium Multi purpose EP2 but now want to grease the slew pinion, the handbook recommends a JCB slew pinion grease with bitumen which I am having difficulty getting easily. I would be grateful to hear of any recommended alternatives that are easier to find which do the same job. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
    I have greased the slew bearing with Lithium Multi purpose EP2 but now want to grease the slew pinion, the handbook recommends a JCB slew pinion grease with bitumen which I am having difficulty getting easily. I would be grateful to hear of any recommended alternatives that are easier to find which do the same job. Many thanks for any suggestions.
    If Jake paid as much attention to other aspects of their digger design, perhaps they would have made something half decent, instead of them pratteling on about bitumen and ebony grease .... Anything ep or moly is fine, just means you need to do it a little more often
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      If Jake paid as much attention to other aspects of their digger design, perhaps they would have made something half decent, instead of them pratteling on about bitumen and ebony grease .... Anything ep or moly is fine, just means you need to do it a little more often
      thanks Muz i will use my EP lithium stuff tomorrow as a matter of interest, in preparation , I got the Jake on wood planks today so I could get underneath and removed the plate supposedly held by 4 bolts ( only had 3 !!!) , it was packed solid with sand and debris and took me about half an hour to meticulously clear it out with screw drivers and dentistry tools that I get off my dentist( the most useful tools I have they come in for all sorts of jobs haha). Anyway I was expecting to see a pinion about the size of the bearing about 16 inches diam instead all I could see was a cog about 3 inches dia- is this the one for greasing because if so its soddin awkwardly high up?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
        thanks Muz i will use my EP lithium stuff tomorrow as a matter of interest, in preparation , I got the Jake on wood planks today so I could get underneath and removed the plate supposedly held by 4 bolts ( only had 3 !!!) , it was packed solid with sand and debris and took me about half an hour to meticulously clear it out with screw drivers and dentistry tools that I get off my dentist( the most useful tools I have they come in for all sorts of jobs haha). Anyway I was expecting to see a pinion about the size of the bearing about 16 inches diam instead all I could see was a cog about 3 inches dia- is this the one for greasing because if so its soddin awkwardly high up?
        Yep 2 to 3 " diameter pinion drives the ring .. and you done good dropping all the muck out will give your digger more longevity than a shit tube of JCB ebony grease ever will
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yep 2 to 3 " diameter pinion drives the ring .. and you done good dropping all the muck out will give your digger more longevity than a shit tube of JCB ebony grease ever will
          great stuff thanks .What a great forum with some great contributors.!

Comment

Plus one on that sentiment Muz ....... I take it this has an internal ring gear?
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
            X