Volvo EC15 head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15 head gasket?

i bought volvo ec15 2002 (at one of UK dealers) which is mixing oil and coolant. seller told me it is head gasket. hope it is not hard job to change it. or do you think is it anything else wrong? what are common problems with this one? it is on a way to me...

if i only found out this forum before... almoust every 2nd post is about volvo ec15 problems :))

Could be a gasket or head damaged ... but more likely a core plug is blown out or leaking in the head. Does it lose water quickly ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

The quickest way to find out is to strip the head off .. if the core plugs look ok then get the head to a machine shop for pressure testing. If the head is ok then its a gasket problem, but when you are that far in, you need to test the head anyway
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Muz thank you for anwser and now i can replay to posts:)

i will se when it come to me (this week) but seller told me it is making "mayonese" (mix oil and water). so it can be head gasket or head. plugs will make water leak outside...

Comment

Originally posted by traktorist View Post
          . plugs will make water leak outside...
          No .... Core plugs are blanking disks in the head ...if they become dislodged due to frost damage they allow water to go straight to the sump and mix with oil ...the slightly larger mitsi engine in the EC 25 was guilty of that problem

Comment

interesting, that could be problem because i was told they were using it some weeks ago and problem started... i suspect frost;)

hope that it will be cheap and quick repair...

Comment

interesting, that could be problem because i was told they were using it some weeks ago and problem started... i suspect frost;)

hope that it will be cheap and quick repair...
              Thats why I was asking if it was losing water quite quickly, cos usually its quite rapid if theres a core plug out. You would still be aswell pressure testing the head once its off, even if it is a core plug problem, cos, there may well be some additional damage

Comment

got volvo yesterday. oil pan is full of water, radiator is dry... so it could be plug. will take apart today and see

Comment

Did take a while to get to it... So... I did some diags... Then took valve cover off and...

There it was... Plug...

Buy new one for 2eur, bang it in... And it is working perfect. No more water in oil :)

Thanks muz... I owe you beer...

Comment

Did take a while to get to it... So... I did some diags... Then took valve cover off and...

There it was... Plug...

Buy new one for 2eur, bang it in... And it is working perfect. No more water in oil :)

Thanks muz... I owe you beer...
                    Heyyyy .... no problem .... I did say though, sometimes there is other damage ... but you'll see that with low compression, or coolant pressurisation, but you could have got lucky just the same, and be a plug only ...does this mean you got an EC15 helluva cheap, because of the problem when you bought it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      Heyyyy .... no problem .... I did say though, sometimes there is other damage ... but you'll see that with low compression, or coolant pressurisation, but you could have got lucky just the same, and be a plug only ...does this mean you got an EC15 helluva cheap, because of the problem when you bought it ?
                      yeah plug can be pushed out becuase of ice but i found antifreeze under oil when i first time open the oil pan. and i did test antifreeze it was up to -20. so i ruled out problem with freeze...

there was a lot of corosion in plug seat... so i think that corosion is the cause of problems... i had back counterweight broken into 3 pieces too... so i had to weld it (1 whole day of welding...)

but overall it was really cheap buy. under 4000gbp with delivery:)but it was great risk....

Comment

Cool .. I didnt know those counter weights would weld, how did you do them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Cool .. I didnt know those counter weights would weld, how did you do them ?
                          will upload picture (or my friend DruidV8, who is better with photos:;)) but in general i heat it up, took superNi electrodes and weld it cm by cm... weld, knock it with hammer (to release "force" (i do not know how to say it right)) and clean with brush... and i made a weld oposite side of previous, so i did not overheat material on one spot...

all day long...

Comment

Don't shoot the messenger ..... keep telling Metod he needs a new camera ..... apparently he tells me it's on his Santa list for this year

tail weight.jpg

core plug.jpg core plug 2.jpg
                            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

will upload picture (or my friend DruidV8, who is better with photos:;)) but in general i heat it up, took superNi electrodes and weld it cm by cm... weld, knock it with hammer (to release "force" (i do not know how to say it right)) and clean with brush... and i made a weld oposite side of previous, so i did not overheat material on one spot...

all day long...
                              relieve the stress Met

unusual rods them

http://sij.elektrode.si/en/products/...on-electrodes/
                              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
                              X