Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volvo hydraulics

Apprentice joiner

Cool

IMG_3802.jpgEc15b has 33 litres of hydraulic oil.

will change mine to -46 grade oil tomorrow.

Apprentice joiner
    Changed the oil. Oil was a bit grayish in colour. Drained some 20 litres and filled back 20 litres. Started the engine and the oil level went down remarkably and remained still a bit over the recommended level.

Gray colour is a sign of some water in the system?

Its only natural that you will get some condensation in a hot metal tank when the machine cools down, so water contamination is not unusual , but it depends on the system the machine uses. My old Fordson Major tractor hydraulic oil looks like custard
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

Apprentice joiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Its only natural that you will get some condensation in a hot metal tank when the machine cools down, so water contamination is not unusual , but it depends on the system the machine uses. My old Fordson Major tractor hydraulic oil looks like custard
    Custard translates to Finnish as a type of sauce made of milk and eggs.

There is some air space and when ever the temperature of the surfaces reaches dew point, moisture in the air condensates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattir View Post
    Custard translates to Finnish as a type of sauce made of milk and eggs.

There is some air space and when ever the temperature of the surfaces reaches dew point, moisture in the air condensates.
    Correct .. yellow and thick as .. but she still works even after 60 years .. as good as new ,, now that IS proper engineering
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist