mini digger project 801.4/5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini digger project 801.4/5?

IMG_20170314_094100.jpgIMG_20170314_094050.jpgIMG_20170314_094151.jpgIMG_20170314_124233.jpgIMG_20170315_150619.jpg

Thats a bit of work ! whats the back story to it ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Thats a bit of work ! whats the back story to it ?
      "A bit of work " !!!!!!! That's an understatement ...... if ever i heard one Muz
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

from the panels etc that does look a lot like mine which is a 801.4 Terry.

Comment

a mammoth task

I bought the digger september 2016, engine 103-10 without a cylinder head,(head cracked and in a garage in west cork) crankshaft number 1 journal and end bearing damaged. Plenty of rust ever everywhere, bolts sheared in places, seating area crumbling and some pins oval, control levers rusty large bucket cracked,and wires/cabling a mess.
          Bought an engine from uk, with a few problems, run without oil.
          rebuilt engine with new pistons and shells seals etc, , checked all tolerances before assembling and buying parts , so its still a standard engine. Ran it on a test bed in garage about 2 months ago, working great.renewed air filter and obviously oil and diesel filter
          refitted in machine last night.
          Have made a frame for a door and opening window for the canopy and also welded frame around canopy , to close it it completely, will use a a rubber tape to mount the perspex on frame , will give it some resilence
          so now working on hydraulics , body, and electrics, will eventually drive it off trailer and then work on slewing motor,
          have removed both hydraulic tank and fuel tank, and renewed hydraulic oil filter,and pipes that pass under tanks and engine, (do not want to have to remove tanks again.)tanks rusty so treated and painted with rust kill, and zinc paint and then jcb yellow. repaired fuel sender to.

I do not have a machine number or serial number for it so difficult to get parts, JCB told me this week that its an 801.4 , because of the rear engine bay cover. I have asked if they can pin point a date in the 1990's that it was built.

Thanks to ginger i now have a really good manual, and wiring diagrams from him and jcb have supplied a wiring loom drawing and circuit diagram.
          have the tools we can rebuild! (just need a little more money :)

the engine cover is cracked all the way across, hoping to repair, any ideas?

Comment

engine in

IMG_20170320_101712.jpg

Comment

motivation

Hi Guys,

This is what happens when you use the neighbour's garage to restore an 801.4 !

he decided to restore his JCB 3CX , although he is cheating, using a spray gun, I am using a paint brush

IMG_20170404_145202.jpg

Comment

Terry, can't find the thread I promised, maybe I PM'd them to someone as they are not in my picture folder.
                But here they are, first one with the 3 allen screws that need to be removed.
                DSCN2934.jpg
                Then lid up showing spring.
                DSCN2937.jpg
                Then filter with spring in place on filter.
                DSCN2938.jpg
                And finally funnel that filter sits in.
                DSCN2939.jpg
                Hopefully that all makes perfect sense.

Comment

2414 ginger you should be nominated poster of the month- I reckon you are going to a lot of effort to do those shots. well done sir and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                    2414 ginger you should be nominated poster of the month- I reckon you are going to a lot of effort to do those shots. well done sir and thank you.
                    No problem Mike, I've received help from others in the past, and if I can, will return the favour, for someone that is having trouble with something. But I don't get too technical, I leave that for the one's with real knowledge.

Comment

photographer of the year! exceptional clarity, thank you great work ginger,

Comment

Forgot to add, yes it makes perfect sense, JCB designers forgot to add a filler pipe to this model , absolutely crazy and instead put a relief valve with no holding tank for dispersed oil

Comment

hydraulic tank and electrics fitted

turned engine over with ignition key, great feeling, and found that the gearbox was filling with oil, as I found a leaking drain plug!

IMG_20170406_180452.jpg

Tomorrow I may have time to fit fuel tank, then roll trailer out of the garage before I start the engine, then we will see if there are any hydraulic leaks, after having renewed several pipes! new battery arriving tomorrow, still a lot to do, but I am getting there slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                            Then filter with spring in place on filter.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3564[/ATTACH]
                            And some people wonder why the spring is in there .. the assumption .. quite logically .. is .. its to hold the filter in place, but actually its a relief mechanism in case the filter gets choked
                            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

its coming together,

Controllers are in bad shape, having difficulty with them, rusty and broken brackets :( trying to locate some here) or will repair. running hydraulics this week, wish me luck. :)
                              IMG_20170423_165300.jpgIMG_20170423_165318.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X