801.4 electrics success.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 801.4 electrics success.

Every time I turned the ignition switch on fuse 3( 15A) blew and I had no lights showing on the instrument panel or hour meter working. Furthermore the alternator was not charging the battery. Yesterday my local mechanic came round and brilliantly found a dead short.
    In essence there was a 2 wire plastic socket behind the battery which had what I can only best describe it as a bridging socket plugged into it- it looked like it was official and meant to be. He removed the top section with the bridging wire in it and declared that was the problem. His diagnoses was that at some stage the digger had a tracker fitted which would have been plugged into the socket and when the machine was moved on it was removed and some bight spark had simply plugged in this bridge arrangement. Anyway I now have warning lights and a alternator charging my battery. Still more work to be done getting my lights to work through a relay etc and a new oil pressure switch, alternator belt and fuel return hose then she is ready for action.

Interesting to know .. and always nice to get a problem solved
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Lights !!

Hi mike,
      great photos you sent me, thank you, I see you have a luxury seat, hope its a comfortable as it looks

No lights on my machine, or battery where are they positioned, I thought the battery was fitted under the seat?
      can you send me photo please.
      thank you

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
      Every time I turned the ignition switch on fuse 3( 15A) blew and I had no lights showing on the instrument panel or hour meter working. Furthermore the alternator was not charging the battery. Yesterday my local mechanic came round and brilliantly found a dead short.
      In essence there was a 2 wire plastic socket behind the battery which had what I can only best describe it as a bridging socket plugged into it- it looked like it was official and meant to be. He removed the top section with the bridging wire in it and declared that was the problem. His diagnoses was that at some stage the digger had a tracker fitted which would have been plugged into the socket and when the machine was moved on it was removed and some bight spark had simply plugged in this bridge arrangement. Anyway I now have warning lights and a alternator charging my battery. Still more work to be done getting my lights to work through a relay etc and a new oil pressure switch, alternator belt and fuel return hose then she is ready for action.

Comment

Originally posted by Smarttee View Post
        Hi mike,
        great photos you sent me, thank you, I see you have a luxury seat, hope its a comfortable as it looks

No lights on my machine, or battery where are they positioned, I thought the battery was fitted under the seat?
        can you send me photo please.
        thank you
        Hi terry

yes the battery is situated under the seat , the positioning of the lights is pretty much up to you, I have two on the arm and two on the cab roof , the lamp choice recommendation was down to V8Druid and they are brilliant( with relay).

Comment

Yes, I agree with Mike, battery under seat. I only had a light switch on the console on mine, but it did have a live out when switched on, so put on some lights, wired them up to the live out, and hey presto good job. I have put 2# 27w led's just up under the canopy and 1 facing back, seems to be plenty enough light for me, I can angle the forward ones up or down a bit, depending whether i'm digging or tracking.

Comment

Lights !!

sounds great, will wire some in when remaking wiring loom.
            thank you both.

but still not sure about the battery, as i do not have a battery box, is there one?

Comment

Here you go Terry ,JCB battery below seat,

Comment

Mine is hidden from view, under seat mounting plate, and behind what I guess to be a small toolbox which is behind your legs when sat in seat, if that makes sense.
                digger.jpg
                Can just about see what I mean from this, could get a better photo tomorrow if it will help.

Comment

battery and seat fitting

Thank you , great photos. what year is your machine Ginger i have similar tool box but it is unusable, as rusted through completely. Am trying to get one from various dealers here who buy old machines and sell of parts.
                  regard

terry

Comment

Thanks terry. Sure that mine is also a 1995, but mine is a canopy not a cab version, will send you a PM.

Comment

This is what mine looks like out of the machine.
                      DSCN3163.jpg

And from the back.
                      DSCN3164.jpg

There should be a drop down lid which is missing, and has been ever since I've had it.

Comment

battery and seat

Thank you for photos, very detailed , my machine is a canopy to, but have welded in angle iron to enclose also incorporated two opening windows.

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                          This is what mine looks like out of the machine.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3555[/ATTACH]

And from the back.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3556[/ATTACH]

There should be a drop down lid which is missing, and has been ever since I've had it.
                          Helpful pics- I think I need to find one of them , mine is missing and battery just sits on floor.

Comment

Yes my battery is just sat on the floor, as it were, but can't go anywhere because of the toolbox, although I do have a bit of 3" x 2" each side to keep it from sliding about too much.

Mike, you could probably get one from someone that breaks old diggers, although I don't know of any personally, but someone on here will no doubt put us in the picture before too long.

These mention 801.4.
                            http://www.rustyparts.co.uk/machines...es-dismantled/

Or this thread from here mentions someone in Wales.
                            http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...er-spare-parts

Happy hunting.
                            Last edited by 2414.ginger; 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Another here, but in NI.
                              http://jameswightman.com/index.php/contact-us/

Hmm must get a better pic for my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X