Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a fixed grab into a rotator

Split from Bit of timber clearance thread

Had the grab out this week on hire to http://premiertreesurgeons.com/ doing some heavy timber clearance for the local authority .. I extracted a few tonnes of hardwood or so with the digger and drag trailer. There was another 200 tonnes left in the wood, which the local authority seemed quite happy to just stack, and leave to rot ..

mmn.jpgIMG_mm.jpg

The guys at Premier will tackle a wide variety of work .. and this was a fair sized job job ... some of these trees had meter diameter bases, so were well established specimens .. reasons for clearance was damaged or diseased timber
    Attached Files
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Nothing quite like doing forest/timber work in an excavator.. Almost soothing Nice machinery! What brand grab? Looks well built

Comment

Nice!! and the grab Muz ..... what is it? Looks a weapon
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
        What brand grab? Looks well built
        Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        ..... what is it? Looks a weapon
        Yep its one of these

http://www.intermercato.com/en/product/tg-22-ug-9/

The fingers are high tensile, and re-inforced so they can take a small bend and spring back no problem .. not something you would really appreciate was important until you start to use it ... One day I will replace the four way pick up for a rotary head .. right now I'm saving for a tilting ditcher ... but hey .. that thing picks up tonne bits of trunk and chucks em about no bother
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Yep its one of these

http://www.intermercato.com/en/product/tg-22-ug-9/

The fingers are high tensile, and re-inforced so they can take a small bend and spring back no problem .. not something you would really appreciate was important until you start to use it ... One day I will replace the four way pick up for a rotary head .. right now I'm saving for a tilting ditcher ... but hey .. that thing picks up tonne bits of trunk and chucks em about no bother

how's about one of these Muz ?

or knock one up ..... 'bout 500 quid IIRC for an 4 tonne grab
          Attached Files
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid
            how's about one of these Muz ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3457[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3458[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3459[/ATTACH]

or knock one up ..... 'bout 500 quid IIRC for an 4 tonne grab
            Very Clever I'm clearly loosing my mojo for problem solving .. would never have thought of that .. I'd be interested to see the bearing make up that takes the load ? Still a hassle to get out of the cab though, as I is getting a lazy in my old age

Comment

Originally posted by Muz
              Very Clever I'm clearly loosing my mojo for problem solving .. would never have thought of that .. I'd be interested to see the bearing make up that takes the load ? Still a hassle to get out of the cab though, as I is getting a lazy in my old age
              Now't fancy Muz .... just a plate straddling a hole ..... they're preset to whatever angle you're looking for ..... but now't to stop 'em being free-spinning I'd have thought ........a brass shim'd help for sure and so would copious amounts of grease

used something similar recently on me flail pick up, just for getting it set, whilst still hanging on to it ....... then a few bolts to hold it there

go with a bigger flange plate and it'd probably me more than adequate

Comment

Originally posted by Muz
                or there's these for deeper pockets http://www.kinematicsmfg.com/ .........

or these for shallower pockets/shorter arms

'bout 800 quid IIRC on Finn.No ..... see if I can find a link for you
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid
                  or there's these for deeper pockets http://www.kinematicsmfg.com/ .........

or these for shallower pockets/shorter arms

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3460[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3461[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3462[/ATTACH]

'bout 800 quid IIRC on Finn.No ..... see if I can find a link for you
                  Theres been a change of heart and now a full clearance has been agreed, so I have to go back in .. This makes the rotator a must have .. where are we on this one V8 ? What ever it is its got to be able to handle a tonne at any angle Ive a 6 bolt fixing it has to sandwich between but I can make up adaptors no problem, so I'm liking the looks of these guys ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz
                    Theres been a change of heart and now a full clearance has been agreed, so I have to go back in .. This makes the rotator a must have .. where are we on this one V8 ? What ever it is its got to be able to handle a tonne at any angle Ive a 6 bolt fixing it has to sandwich between but I can make up adaptors no problem, so I'm liking the looks of these guys ?
                    Sorry Muz ..... only just seen the notification for this ......... see if i can find you some links later ....... remind me this evening

Comment

https://m.finn.no/b2b/construction/a...nkode=92447931

gonna need one of these too mate .. Roemheld rotary coupling ...... if I didn't have a spare already I would not be showing you this ..... I'd have bought it already ....... 1200 quid new + VAT ...... I have all the tech spec.s, etc. on PDF if you need any info. on them ...... it's what gets the oil down the centre of my VA-r to the QH and the Aux. ports

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARR-LANE-...LPGjAdJ3s3rvSw

cheapest one I've seen in ages

http://www.ebay.co.uk/dsc/i.html?_fr..._odkw=roemheld

vary wildly on price on ebay ...... let me know if you don't have any interest .... I might just buy it anyway ....... total bargain

Comment

DOnt know where you find these links fella some sexy looking gear here .. ill get a better look after tea .. Despite a Verbal go ahead ... not sure if the purchase order has appeared yet for the project?

Comment

Finn.no is a great place But should've been all rights reserved for norwegians only

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody
                            Finn.no is a great place But should've been all rights reserved for norwegians only

great shopping website

Comment

Originally posted by Muz
                              DOnt know where you find these links fella some sexy looking gear here .. ill get a better look after tea .. Despite a Verbal go ahead ... not sure if the purchase order has appeared yet for the project?
                              those rotaters are a good 25% of any others I've found anywhere Muz

the Roemheld is a bloody gift ..... and as said .... I'll be acquiring it, if you don't want it ..... it's for nuttin' ..... same search page ... a 2 port one is well over 200 bucks .. which is all you need really ..... but the 4 ports are most common, s/hand .... that however is new in box and gotta be bought.

Comment

Working...
                              X