Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 801.4 Fan belt change advice

Hi all

just ordered a new fan belt is this a fairly easy fit- i.e will it slip over the fan ok or will the rad have to come off?

thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike
    You should be able to do it without the rad off, I did mine.
    Look for the widest gap between the fan and the cowling, and try to work it in there.
    You should be able to tighten the belt by reaching over the engine.
    You may lose a bit of skin of the odd knuckle here and there, but thats all part of the fun, isn't it?

Comment

You'll get it over the fan ok, the hard part will be to winkle it onto the pulleys, ..make sure the alternator is all closed in on its adjuster rack first, to give you maximum play on the belt. I usually get them seated into the crank and alternator pulleys, then onto the edge of the fan pulley, then pull the fan round taking the belt with it, and they usually seat on without a problem that way
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Many thanks indeed that's good news for sure. Will give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

If like me you found this old thread whilst looking to see if the rad needed to come off to do the fan belt, then good news, it doesn't!

At first glance it seems like it does but it really couldn't be easier.

Remove the hose that goes from the rad shroud to the air box.

Remove the bolt on the right side of the fan cover and bend it up as there's not enough room to remove it completely (mine sat nicely on the air inlet shroud on the side of the rad).

Remove the expansion tank - it just lifts out.

loosen the alternator bracket and bottom bolt.

you now have enough room to get the belt over the fan, one blade at a time and around the pulleys. get it over the crank and alternator and then use the fan to bring it over the fan pulley.

tighten the alternator and put everything back.

job done.

Hope this shows how easy it is. 15 to 30 minute job and no "lose a bit of skin off the odd knuckle"!

Comment

Another winner !
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
            X