Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattir Diesel in engine oil

*split from engine removal thread* here
    To celebrate 1st of May, I actually fabricated a special nozzle out of 15mm copper tube to flush the rad from inside. Hammered the end flat and bended it somewhat to increase the water speed and easier access. Worked out fine. Tomorrow will be out of the office day with all day digging.

Oil getting thinner

Hi,

the excavating season has started. Maybe 8h of digging so far.

I checked the oil stick (or whatever it is called) and noticed that the level of oil has risen. As I dont have an integrated oil well in the -15, I assume the extra is fuel. Wonder how it gets in to the oil? Do i need to adjust the shims of the Injectors? Is there anything that could be done?

will change the oil before 250h time since the oil sump will overflow unless taken care of. Something quite costly might happen before that

Ordered the pressure gauge and will return with a value.

Comment

IMG_3758.jpg
      Originally posted by Mattir View Post
      Hi,

the excavating season has started. Maybe 8h of digging so far.

I checked the oil stick (or whatever it is called) and noticed that the level of oil has risen. As I dont have an integrated oil well in the -15, I assume the extra is fuel. Wonder how it gets in to the oil? Do i need to adjust the shims of the Injectors? Is there anything that could be done?

will change the oil before 250h time since the oil sump will overflow unless taken care of. Something quite costly might happen before that

Ordered the pressure gauge and will return with a value.
      Those seals?
      Last edited by Mattir; 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM. Reason: Pic

Comment

if you're getting fuel in the sump to the point it is noticeable on the dip stick after 8 hrs , I'd be doing something LONG before 250 hrs had elapsed and before you run the crank shells out ..... a common cause is glazed bores, by-passsing fuel or a fuel pump, etc. leaking fuel into an oil gallery somewhere?

does the fuel system share a lubrication point anywhere with the engine's sump?

I'm not familiar with the motor in this
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          if you're getting fuel in the sump to the point it is noticeable on the dip stick after 8 hrs , I'd be doing something LONG before 250 hrs had elapsed and before you run the crank shells out ..... a common cause is glazed bores, by-passsing fuel or a fuel pump, etc. leaking fuel into an oil gallery somewhere?

does the fuel system share a lubrication point anywhere with the engine's sump?

I'm not familiar with the motor in this
          Actually checked the logbook and it says that I've been running the -15 some 100 hours after the previous oil + filter change. The oil does not smell it has diesel in it, but there's a chance of some diesel leak and the most obvious place is through the seals in the IP. The IP sits so that any leak would end up in the gallery.

Another thing is that the engine sounds like having a disco beat machine inside- a very dominant bass especially on low revs. The thump pierces the ear protection as it has so low frequency. The valves have not been adjusted for ages and another reason might be the injection timing. Any ideas?

Comment

Actually checked the logbook and it says that I've been running the -15 some 100 hours after the previous oil + filter change. The oil does not smell it has diesel in it, but there's a chance of some diesel leak and the most obvious place is through the seals in the IP. The IP sits so that any leak would end up in the gallery.

Another thing is that the engine sounds like having a disco beat machine inside- a very dominant bass especially on low revs. The thump pierces the ear protection as it has so low frequency. The valves have not been adjusted for ages and another reason might be the injection timing. Any ideas?

do you have any timing case mounted hyd pumps on the m/c?

you may have hyd oil infiltrating from a weepy seal perhaps?

Have a mate who had this issue on a 10t Case duck and it took some finding.
            His oil level was rising fairly quick.....about the same rate as his hyd level was dropping
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
              do you have any timing case mounted hyd pumps on the m/c?

you may have hyd oil infiltrating from a weepy seal perhaps?

Have a mate who had this issue on a 10t Case duck and it took some finding.
              His oil level was rising fairly quick.....about the same rate as his hyd level was dropping
              The -15 has the hydraulic pump in line with the camshaft and don't suspect that to leak into the sump. There are no other hydraulic components in the engine compartment.

Comment

Ordered the seals for the IP and will change them as well as the oil. It's a lot cheaper to change the oil that the whole engine

Comment

I see what you mean with the pump being in the engine internals, but I cant say I've ever had the problem. I'm currently running an Isuzu Dmax pick up that actually allows diesel into the engine. I've learned that the dip stick has 3 marks on it, and if the level reaches the upper one, due to the CAT being regenerated the oil must be changed. Modern times eh ?
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    I see what you mean with the pump being in the engine internals, but I cant say I've ever had the problem. I'm currently running an Isuzu Dmax pick up that actually allows diesel into the engine. I've learned that the dip stick has 3 marks on it, and if the level reaches the upper one, due to the CAT being regenerated the oil must be changed. Modern times eh ?
                    Have seen an Youtube video showing how the injectors that are placed near rockers leak fuel directly into the oil space. The guy used some dye that glows clear fluorescent yellow when illuminated with an ultraviolet lamp.

Another video showed a case where customer complained of white smoke. In the shop the guy emptied the sump that was practically full of diesel.

The only place where diesel can practically enter the oil system is the IB and its leaking seals. Those are the only barrier between high pressure fuel and the oil system.

Muz, what would you say about the sound, this disco beat thing ?

Comment

Have seen an Youtube video showing how the injectors that are placed near rockers leak fuel directly into the oil space. The guy used some dye that glows clear fluorescent yellow when illuminated with an ultraviolet lamp.
                      Invariably they are part of the cylinder head .. so when something goes wrong and they leak , something will suffer. I had a big issue ..mentioned elsewhere on here that my Scania truck had a cracked injector sleeve where fuel got into the coolant system .. I think the fitters put a grinder through the sleeve they got out .. this was on a 9 litre 5 pot engine .. shit happens .. had to get it sorted before the diesel rotted all the rubber coolant hoses

IMG_1066[1].jpg
                      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                        Invariably they are part of the cylinder head .. so when something goes wrong and they leak , something will suffer. I had a big issue ..mentioned elsewhere on here that my Scania truck had a cracked injector sleeve where fuel got into the coolant system .. I think the fitters put a grinder through the sleeve they got out .. this was on a 9 litre 5 pot engine .. shit happens .. had to get it sorted before the diesel rotted all the rubber coolant hoses

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3583[/ATTACH]
                        Ooops! Looks pretty violent. Thinking of buying newer Hilux, current one has 400 000 km on it and it runs rather well. Just don't know whether I need all the modern tech. issues that come along with a newer model. How'syour pick up been behaving?

Comment

Oil changed: 3,5 litres of 15W40
                          P1 measured: 200 bar, which explains why the machine is not weak. Nominal pressure is 170bar. My machine is ex contractor doug and he kept his money making machine in good shape. I quess this 30bar above the nominal is ok as the there are no leaks and the engine seems to be doing ok. Will have to take care of cooling.

Comment

Oil changed: 3,5 litres of 15W40
                            P1 measured: 200 bar, which explains why the machine is not weak. Nominal pressure is 170bar. My machine is ex contractor doug and he kept his money making machine in good shape. I quess this 30bar above the nominal is ok as the there are no leaks and the engine seems to be doing ok. Will have to take care of cooling.
                            Hi Mattir, just reading through your notes, and thinking would there be a holed piston and diesel being injected into the sump through it hence the disco base sound, maybe do compression test!

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick-the-fitter View Post
                              Hi Mattir, just reading through your notes, and thinking would there be a holed piston and diesel being injected into the sump through it hence the disco base sound, maybe do compression test!

Mick
                              Hi, compression test might reveal some issues and as the engine has run some 3300 hrs. it might have lower compression than a new engine. I thougt of adjusting the valves first as that might have some impact onnthe sounds as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X