Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 801.4 newbie- hello (and help! )

Afternoon folks,

I picked up an unknown age 801.4 yesterday local to me (Aberdeenshire) for working around our place. We have a few years worth of projects digging and general farting about. Forums have helped me out of mechanical problems in the past and there seems to be a good amount of 801.4 knowledge here so... Being of a certain age (me and the digger!) there are a few issues identified when i bought it which i 'think' i know how to fix but have many questions, as like nearly everyone else, i have no manual or service manuals. So questions/wisdom/knowledge,/or laughter if you like;
    • Main boom lift ram is weeping, diagnosed this is from something being crushed between bucket & ram and has crushed the return pipe so its leaking hydraulic fluid. not jetting out, just a dribble. but its losing quite a bit when its under load. So will need a new boom soon, can top it up for a bit but will be looking to replace or fix if possible. Where is best to buy these? What part numbers etc?
    • There is a sump plug which has a towing eye and PTFE tape stemming back water/oil which appears to work but will need a blank in there. Again any wisdom/part number etc there welcome.
    • Deisel leak from fuel lines / injectors. Is this common? Looks like a flared car brake pipe stele connection thats just a bit worn desiel rattle? Is this common?
    • Boom pins are a bit worn, could do with a replacement set. Conscious of part numbers, nuances etc.
    • None of the electrics work other than lights. So no idea on hours, would like to get that working again, but read they can be rattled to hell, so will trace connections.
    • Today, no waring lights started fine, after 5-10munites of learning the controls it stalled, started and it ran then stalled again, up pops a red teardrop, so dropped the boom where it was. I am guessing is oil engine/ hydraulic? does anyone have a list of the warning lights?

All in all, i know it needs some work to get it working for the long term, i don't have money for a cat/doosan equivalent everyone tells me to get but i am happy to spend a bt of cash and time getting the wee JCB working for me. The cab and general condition is good, it has had a replacement on the engine cover fabricated for it at some point in time, which will need a bit more vents around the radiator side i expect. But it isn't as bashed/dented/cement covered as a lot of others i have seen so hoping its had a relatively easy life.

Any help especially on what the current warning light is would will help me massively. And where is best place to obtain manuals form, i am super wary about buying manuals form unknown sources... but happy to pay if its a know entity to others in the know.

Wife is already giving the rolling eyes, hope to get it sorted and running soon!

Originally posted by istoo View Post
    Afternoon folks,

I picked up an unknown age 801.4 yesterday local to me (Aberdeenshire) for working around our place. We have a few years worth of projects digging and general farting about. Forums have helped me out of mechanical problems in the past and there seems to be a good amount of 801.4 knowledge here so... Being of a certain age (me and the digger!) there are a few issues identified when i bought it which i 'think' i know how to fix but have many questions, as like nearly everyone else, i have no manual or service manuals. So questions/wisdom/knowledge,/or laughter if you like;
    • Main boom lift ram is weeping, diagnosed this is from something being crushed between bucket & ram and has crushed the return pipe so its leaking hydraulic fluid. not jetting out, just a dribble. but its losing quite a bit when its under load. So will need a new boom soon, can top it up for a bit but will be looking to replace or fix if possible. Where is best to buy these? What part numbers etc?
    • There is a sump plug which has a towing eye and PTFE tape stemming back water/oil which appears to work but will need a blank in there. Again any wisdom/part number etc there welcome.
    • Deisel leak from fuel lines / injectors. Is this common? Looks like a flared car brake pipe stele connection thats just a bit worn desiel rattle? Is this common?
    • Boom pins are a bit worn, could do with a replacement set. Conscious of part numbers, nuances etc.
    • None of the electrics work other than lights. So no idea on hours, would like to get that working again, but read they can be rattled to hell, so will trace connections.
    • Today, no waring lights started fine, after 5-10munites of learning the controls it stalled, started and it ran then stalled again, up pops a red teardrop, so dropped the boom where it was. I am guessing is oil engine/ hydraulic? does anyone have a list of the warning lights?

All in all, i know it needs some work to get it working for the long term, i don't have money for a cat/doosan equivalent everyone tells me to get but i am happy to spend a bt of cash and time getting the wee JCB working for me. The cab and general condition is good, it has had a replacement on the engine cover fabricated for it at some point in time, which will need a bit more vents around the radiator side i expect. But it isn't as bashed/dented/cement covered as a lot of others i have seen so hoping its had a relatively easy life.

Any help especially on what the current warning light is would will help me massively. And where is best place to obtain manuals form, i am super wary about buying manuals form unknown sources... but happy to pay if its a know entity to others in the know.

Wife is already giving the rolling eyes, hope to get it sorted and running soon!

And you thought you had problems with the digger

did it stall or seize/nip up ?
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Aye aye, it's stalled, turns over, sounds like starvation. The fuel return line covered with diesel and ming. Away to try that first, fuel filter has a removable plug, indrained a wee bit from that and it has a fair amount of crap in it.

sods law inshould have driven it straight into the shed, but I wanted to dig a few holes so it's 20m from he shed and now summer has arrived....

Comment

Aye aye, it's stalled, turns over, sounds like starvation. The fuel return line covered with diesel and ming. Away to try that first, fuel filter has a removable plug, indrained a wee bit from that and it has a fair amount of crap in it.

sods law inshould have driven it straight into the shed, but I wanted to dig a few holes so it's 20m from he shed and now summer has arrived....
        late with you ..... been here a good week or more ...... poxy weather
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

aye the digger has seized up, not the wife!

todays exploits.
          I don't have any manuals or such like so just attempted some sense, or my idea of sense.
          • Put in key and it cranks but doesn't fire, it was spluttering and stalling on friday now nothing.
          • took off fuel line to lift pump, flowing fine, but did cough up some sludge. let it drain for a minute until it ran clear. then clamped it up.
          • took off lines from lift pump and filter to see if they had the same gunk. washed and dried out with compressor.
          • Took lift pump off, a fair bit of red / rusty gunge in there, cleaned out a s best i could.
          • Fuel filter on pretty solid, will change when i get a spare, cartridge type?
          • Put it all back together and no joy...

Comment

Make sure the breaker pedal is centred correctly, and not hydraulicly loading the engine
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I would drain the fuel tank and clean it out, renew filter ( S1296)) for bushes use www.Digbits.co.uk 01889503020. of course if you have a golf course nearby, st andrews and carnoustie are close enough :) i would come over for a couple of weeks. free to work, but need board , do not eat much at all, and drinking little, as I am not Irish(probably not politically correct.I am an electrical and mechanical engineer and retired so my time is my own other than finishing the rebuild of my 801.4.

the offer is there, and i was working in glasgow and dundee in 2015 for 7 months , consultant so familiar with area.

aye the digger has seized up, not the wife!

todays exploits.
              I don't have any manuals or such like so just attempted some sense, or my idea of sense.
              • Put in key and it cranks but doesn't fire, it was spluttering and stalling on friday now nothing.
              • took off fuel line to lift pump, flowing fine, but did cough up some sludge. let it drain for a minute until it ran clear. then clamped it up.
              • took off lines from lift pump and filter to see if they had the same gunk. washed and dried out with compressor.
              • Took lift pump off, a fair bit of red / rusty gunge in there, cleaned out a s best i could.
              • Fuel filter on pretty solid, will change when i get a spare, cartridge type?
              • Put it all back together and no joy...

Comment

Working...
              X