Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hitachi EX15

Tartan paint and sky hook supplier .. also long stands Muz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    It didn't make a dash for freedom, unseen did it ?
    Gee lets hope not

you'll need tees to suit your plumbing .. probably metric
    Its surprising how many jap units are BSP especially older stuff .. although that machine looks to be at a sort of cross over period for designers when they went metric ... or worse tapered metric in some cases whereas most euro stuff was solidly metric by then.

Quote Originally Posted by nic9 View Post
    Does that seem like normal behaviour or should the ports be completely closed when the piston is out? Unfortunately I can't get at the relief valve on the other side so I can't take it out to compare.

Attachment 3639
    Hard to tell .. hydraulic pressures can be massive in relation to forces exerted by your hands for example. As long as the oil ways are clear from debris, you would accept it as looking normal. Rubber crumb, broken springs, damaged seals, and sticking spools are the most common faults in these areas
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Gee lets hope not
    too bloody right .... needle in a hay stack, blindfolded, in the dark job
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

New Start
    I magnetized a small screwdriver and used it to fish out the poppet valve. Looked nice and clean so put it back in.
    BTW hoses are 1/4" BSP.

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    I magnetized a small screwdriver and used it to fish out the poppet valve. Looked nice and clean so put it back in.
    BTW hoses are 1/4" BSP.
    I'd have had a nice clean piece of cotton rag in there and given it a wipe out gently too Nic .... never know

BSP tee required then Boyo ... nice and handy .... BSP is a so much easier proposition
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

New Start
    Success!! Finally got my pressure gauge connected and identified that left swing is on port P2 not P1 and full pressure was getting to P2. P2, of course, is the one where the relief and make-up valves are very difficult to reach but I got the make-up valve out and found some muck when poking inside with a clean cloth on a screwdriver. Put it back together and it works. Just going to fit a new hydraulic filter before I put the floor back in.

Your long-distance diagnosis was spot on!

Thanks again to both of you for staying with me through this.

Success!! Finally got my pressure gauge connected and identified that left swing is on port P2 not P1 and full pressure was getting to P2. P2, of course, is the one where the relief and make-up valves are very difficult to reach but I got the make-up valve out and found some muck when poking inside with a clean cloth on a screwdriver. Put it back together and it works. Just going to fit a new hydraulic filter before I put the floor back in.

Your long-distance diagnosis was spot on!

Thanks again to both of you for staying with me through this.
    ****ing marvelous mate

the schematic was the key to sussing it, together with the ol' gauges .... once you can see WTF the flow's going ... and you establish you have pressure, it's a simple elimination process and that bloody poppet was the prime candidate

Thanks for letting us know ..... never know it just may help someone else in the future

Tartan paint and sky hook supplier .. also long stands Muz's Avatar
    Thanks for letting us know ..... never know it just may help someone else in the future
    Most important words

Thanks for letting us know nic9 very glad you managed a repair without huge expenditure ... the dealers employ expensive mechanics who frankly dont live up to expectations ive found... and charge the earth
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Most important words

Thanks for letting us know nic9 very glad you managed a repair without huge expenditure ... the dealers employ expensive mechanics who frankly dont live up to expectations ive found... and charge the earth
    aye ...... there's nothing like knowing your machines inside out ..... TBH I think it makes you a better op. too, having knowledge of how/why/what's going on, as you use something and a lot more 'mechanically sympathetic', to them.