No announcement yet.

Hitachi EX15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure gauge arrived but not operational as I didn't know you need an adapter to connect to a hose fitting. So another couple of days to wait.

However I did remove the relief valve (see pic below) and would like your opinion on whether it's ok or not. You should be able to just make out that the port(s) are half open. When I stand it on its end and apply a bit of pressure with my palm, the piston moves in and clicks. The movement is very small, a quarter of a millimetre or less. I can then pull the piston back out to the position shown. Does that seem like normal behaviour or should the ports be completely closed when the piston is out? Unfortunately I can't get at the relief valve on the other side so I can't take it out to compare.

relief.jpg

Comment

Should have said that I removed the plug on the Make-Up valve but all I got out was a spring.

Comment

Originally posted by nic9 View Post
        Pressure gauge arrived but not operational as I didn't know you need an adapter to connect to a hose fitting. So another couple of days to wait.

However I did remove the relief valve (see pic below) and would like your opinion on whether it's ok or not. You should be able to just make out that the port(s) are half open. When I stand it on its end and apply a bit of pressure with my palm, the piston moves in and clicks. The movement is very small, a quarter of a millimetre or less. I can then pull the piston back out to the position shown. Does that seem like normal behaviour or should the ports be completely closed when the piston is out? Unfortunately I can't get at the relief valve on the other side so I can't take it out to compare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3639[/ATTACH]

It's a LOT more than just a plain old RV Nic .... it's a balanced pressure item and also has an anti shock shuttle in it .. quite a cartridge valve
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Should have said that I removed the plug on the Make-Up valve but all I got out was a spring.
          the poppet will have been on the other end of the spring Nic .... have you a small magnet, like a tool pick up pen jobbie?

It didn't make a dash for freedom, unseen did it ?

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

http://www.hydrotechnik.co.uk/catalo...test-point-kit

I have this kit Nic .... invaluable ...... cost me 100 quid, but worth every penny for fault finding

http://www.hydrotechnik.co.uk/bsp-pressure-test-kit

you'll need tees to suit your plumbing .. probably metric

IIRC there are some decent pix of mine in my thread about last August

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
              It didn't make a dash for freedom, unseen did it ?
              Gee lets hope not

you'll need tees to suit your plumbing .. probably metric
              Its surprising how many jap units are BSP especially older stuff .. although that machine looks to be at a sort of cross over period for designers when they went metric ... or worse tapered metric in some cases whereas most euro stuff was solidly metric by then.

Does that seem like normal behaviour or should the ports be completely closed when the piston is out? Unfortunately I can't get at the relief valve on the other side so I can't take it out to compare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3639[/ATTACH]
              Hard to tell .. hydraulic pressures can be massive in relation to forces exerted by your hands for example. As long as the oil ways are clear from debris, you would accept it as looking normal. Rubber crumb, broken springs, damaged seals, and sticking spools are the most common faults in these areas
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Gee lets hope not
                too bloody right .... needle in a hay stack, blindfolded, in the dark job

Comment

I magnetized a small screwdriver and used it to fish out the poppet valve. Looked nice and clean so put it back in.
                  BTW hoses are 1/4" BSP.

Comment

I magnetized a small screwdriver and used it to fish out the poppet valve. Looked nice and clean so put it back in.
                    BTW hoses are 1/4" BSP.
                    I'd have had a nice clean piece of cotton rag in there and given it a wipe out gently too Nic .... never know

BSP tee required then Boyo ... nice and handy .... BSP is a so much easier proposition

Comment

Success!! Finally got my pressure gauge connected and identified that left swing is on port P2 not P1 and full pressure was getting to P2. P2, of course, is the one where the relief and make-up valves are very difficult to reach but I got the make-up valve out and found some muck when poking inside with a clean cloth on a screwdriver. Put it back together and it works. Just going to fit a new hydraulic filter before I put the floor back in.

Your long-distance diagnosis was spot on!

Thanks again to both of you for staying with me through this.

Comment

Success!! Finally got my pressure gauge connected and identified that left swing is on port P2 not P1 and full pressure was getting to P2. P2, of course, is the one where the relief and make-up valves are very difficult to reach but I got the make-up valve out and found some muck when poking inside with a clean cloth on a screwdriver. Put it back together and it works. Just going to fit a new hydraulic filter before I put the floor back in.

Your long-distance diagnosis was spot on!

Thanks again to both of you for staying with me through this.
                        ****ing marvelous mate

the schematic was the key to sussing it, together with the ol' gauges .... once you can see WTF the flow's going ... and you establish you have pressure, it's a simple elimination process and that bloody poppet was the prime candidate

Thanks for letting us know ..... never know it just may help someone else in the future

Comment

Thanks for letting us know ..... never know it just may help someone else in the future
                          Most important words

Thanks for letting us know nic9 very glad you managed a repair without huge expenditure ... the dealers employ expensive mechanics who frankly dont live up to expectations ive found... and charge the earth
                          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            Most important words

Thanks for letting us know nic9 very glad you managed a repair without huge expenditure ... the dealers employ expensive mechanics who frankly dont live up to expectations ive found... and charge the earth
                            aye ...... there's nothing like knowing your machines inside out ..... TBH I think it makes you a better op. too, having knowledge of how/why/what's going on, as you use something and a lot more 'mechanically sympathetic', to them.

Comment

Working...
                            X