No announcement yet.

Another Volvo EC15 engine blown up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mental note to self NEVER, EVER, EVER buy one of these lil bar stewards those first few pix of the motor and tray are OMG
    How long to get to that stage Muz
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Well thats it all back together and up and running with no change to the engine performance, fuelled direct from the tank too, so Ive still not got to the bottom of it. I do now hear some different noises from the engine. It was very hard to tell previously as two engine mounts had failed which made a lot of extra noise previously, and part of the exhaust had cracked and the tail pipe was loose but now they've all been fixed, I can hear some different sounds. Since the compressions all seem ok, its a bit of a chin scratcher .... I'm thinking compressions be damned and theres maybe a bent valve rod, took a few minutes for the noise to appear, but it sounds like it. Get the rocker off tomorrow and see whats doing
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Well thats it all back together and up and running with no change to the engine performance, fuelled direct from the tank too, so Ive still not got to the bottom of it. I do now hear some different noises from the engine. It was very hard to tell previously as two engine mounts had failed which made a lot of extra noise previously, and part of the exhaust had cracked and the tail pipe was loose but now they've all been fixed, I can hear some different sounds. Since the compressions all seem ok, its a bit of a chin scratcher .... I'm thinking compressions be damned and theres maybe a bent valve rod, took a few minutes for the noise to appear, but it sounds like it. Get the rocker off tomorrow and see whats doing
        surely if you've a bent push rod, to the point it's making a noise Muz, it'd be soundling 'woofly' / bit missy ??
        They hydraulic followers in there, or good old adjustable?
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Well thats it all back together and up and running with no change to the engine performance, fuelled direct from the tank too, so Ive still not got to the bottom of it. I do now hear some different noises from the engine. It was very hard to tell previously as two engine mounts had failed which made a lot of extra noise previously, and part of the exhaust had cracked and the tail pipe was loose but now they've all been fixed, I can hear some different sounds. Since the compressions all seem ok, its a bit of a chin scratcher .... I'm thinking compressions be damned and theres maybe a bent valve rod, to a few minutes for the noise to appear, but it sounds like it. Get the rocker off tomorrow and see whats doing
          Hmmm...

Still powerless ? and it's not the injectors or other fuel related? What could make the valve rod bend? never seen one but maybe this will end up in some valve issues ?

Btw... valve clearings, have you noticed that they would need attention ?

Comment

Well everything 'looked' ok but all the clearances were too tight for sure, so Ive adjusted them and the engine now runs a lot more smoothly without any noise now .... but still no power
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Well everything 'looked' ok but all the clearances were too tight for sure, so Ive adjusted them and the engine now runs a lot more smoothly without any noise now .... but still no power
              Ok. Should adjust the clearances as well but now have some more important projects ongoing.

Powerlessness usually has something to do with the fuel apparatus... A small piece of rubber in the fuel lines ? This is just quessing, trying to help

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
                Ok. Should adjust the clearances as well but now have some more important projects ongoing.

Powerlessness usually has something to do with the fuel apparatus... A small piece of rubber in the fuel lines ? This is just quessing, trying to help
                No.. I had a pipe direct from tank to electric fuel pump to injection pump and fuel supply was A1

Anyway, I think Ive solved it ... back up the posts I suspected a guvernor fault which had me inspect it and thought the guvernor spring was a bit slack, something might have got a bit stretched, so all Ive done is open up the guvernor screw 3 full turns, and she running sweet as a nut now, no black smoke either and able to sustain full load and blow main reliefs without shutting down

Comment

No.. I had a pipe direct from tank to electric fuel pump to injection pump and fuel supply was A1 t

Anyway, I think Ive solved it ... back up the posts I suspected a guvernor fault which had me inspect it and thought the guvernor spring was a bit slack, something might have got a bit stretched, so all Ive done is open up the guvernor screw 3 full turns, and she running sweet as a nut now, no black smoke either and able to sustain full load and blow main reliefs without shutting down
                  Great! Better than new

Comment

Great! Better than new
                    Well its not an ideal solution .. in that... Ive no idea what 'tension' should be on a spring ? .. But Ive been digging away with it in the yard and it works perfectly now ... it reacts differently to load .. but like I mentioned at the start of this thread, this particular engine always did ?

Comment

Well its not an ideal solution .. in that... Ive no idea what 'tension' should be on a spring ? .. But Ive been digging away with it in the yard and it works perfectly now ... it reacts differently to load .. but like I mentioned at the start of this thread, this particular engine always did ?
                      Mitsu L3e

http://navalmotor.com/generacion/mit...e_L_Series.pdf

Around page 127, adjustment of torque spring set.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mattir; 05-08-2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Mitsu L3e

http://navalmotor.com/generacion/mit...e_L_Series.pdf

Around page 127, adjustment of torque spring set.
                        Spent just over 30 minutes with this post with all editing and got a message that it could not be edited after 30 minutes. Well the substance is in the link anyway, the pics could be removed since they are not readable.

Comment

How did you adjust it can you get to it without pulling the front cover off ??

Comment

Working...
                          X