Stewartbob EC15 Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewartbob EC15 Solenoid

Hello guys , and gals, if any. Proud owner of volvo ec15b i had been using it over the weekend all was working fine until i lost all hydraulics , the engine was still running at this point, i then turned it of to check fluid levels and oils, the hydraulic oil was rather low so topped it up, tried to restart but wouldn't start , i found the 10 amp fuse in position 5 had blown, once it was replaced the engine started but with no hydraulics, strangely every time I turn the engine off the number 5 fuse blows

greetings and welcome SB ..... Muz is yer man for these ..... as you'll probably have already sussed .... all I can say, from the amount of input about these, is ..... "thank **** I don't own one"

Dare say the boss'll be along shortly
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Welcome could be a number of things ... most probably a short in the dead mans control circuit on the left console, or .. at the other end is a solenoid that controls the servo/spool function.. they burn out sometimes, is it an XTV with double speed travel ? Can you smell any burning ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Welcome could be a number of things ... most probably a short in the dead mans control circuit on the left console, or .. at the other end is a solenoid that controls the servo/spool function.. they burn out sometimes, is it an XTV with double speed travel ? Can you smell any burning ?
        that comes later ..... when you're so pissed off with it you give it the Stock treatment with a gallon of "the precious" and a box of Swan Vestas
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stewartbob View Post
          Hello guys , and gals, if any. Proud owner of volvo ec15b i had been using it over the weekend all was working fine until i lost all hydraulics , the engine was still running at this point, i then turned it of to check fluid levels and oils, the hydraulic oil was rather low so topped it up, tried to restart but wouldn't start , i found the 10 amp fuse in position 5 had blown, once it was replaced the engine started but with no hydraulics, strangely every time I turn the engine off the number 5 fuse blows
          fuse 5 is for lighting according to the diagram in the manual. Strange that you cant have hydraulics since that fuse seems to be for the head lights and some open connectors perhaps under the roof cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
            fuse 5 is for lighting according to the diagram in the manual. Strange that you cant have hydraulics since that fuse seems to be for the head lights and some open connectors perhaps under the roof cover.
            Dunno about the 'book' but if you pull that fuse you will hear the engine tone lift slightly because the hydraulic shut off solenoid has been deactivated, thereby giving you no hydraulics so its back to post #3 IMHO
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Dunno about the 'book' but if you pull that fuse you will hear the engine tone lift slightly because the hydraulic shut off solenoid has been deactivated, thereby giving you no hydraulics so its back to post #3 IMHO
              An excerpt of -15 bible:

if you can see what's in the stamp size pic, check for fuse 6 and the microswitch sw10 in the safetyport.

the relay ma1 should operate.

check the b1 PA as well, that might be a pressure sensor.

IMG_3907.jpg

Comment

fuse nightmare

hi muz, thanks for the reply, tonight i took out the dead mans switch to find it is working fine, also no melted cables and no burning smell, by the way mine isnt a xtv, one thing i am find very difficult to understand is the fuse box under the drivers seat,this has a clear plastic cover to it that can only fit in one direction, on this case it is numbered 1 to 6, that is from the right its number one going to the left its number 6, in my operators manual it shows the six fuses number one on the left and number 6 on the right, and on the fuse function number 5 is soleniod valve for slewing gear/ offset and auxiliary hydraulic system, i manged to start it again tonight no bother by putting a new fuse into number 5, or is that number 2 ?, still no hydraulics while running, and fuse blown when i tried to restart, while it was running i did pull fuse 2 first and then 5 just to check for any sound change in the engine but none was to be heard, i also checked the lights, fan heater, horn, all working fine while running,

Comment

hi muz, thanks for the reply, tonight i took out the dead mans switch to find it is working fine, also no melted cables and no burning smell, by the way mine isnt a xtv, one thing i am find very difficult to understand is the fuse box under the drivers seat,this has a clear plastic cover to it that can only fit in one direction, on this case it is numbered 1 to 6, that is from the right its number one going to the left its number 6, in my operators manual it shows the six fuses number one on the left and number 6 on the right, and on the fuse function number 5 is soleniod valve for slewing gear/ offset and auxiliary hydraulic system, i manged to start it again tonight no bother by putting a new fuse into number 5, or is that number 2 ?, still no hydraulics while running, and fuse blown when i tried to restart, while it was running i did pull fuse 2 first and then 5 just to check for any sound change in the engine but none was to be heard, i also checked the lights, fan heater, horn, all working fine while running,

Fuses

IMG_3908.jpg

Comment

thanks for the diagram, i can just make out that fuse 1 is on the right, this is the same as my fuse case shows, but if i knew how to send you a picture i could show you that in my manual fuse number 1 is on the left, fuse 1 15a / rotating beacon, horn, hand lamp connection. fuse 2 15a cab power supply. fuse 3 20a power supply for cabin-working headlights on boom and cabin. fuse410a solenoid valve for tow speed operation and track width. fuse 5 10a solenoid valve for slewing gear/offset and auxiliary hydraulic system. fuse 6 5a engine safety relay, power supplyfor instrument panel, fuel pump. stewartbob.

Comment

thanks for the diagram, i can just make out that fuse 1 is on the right, this is the same as my fuse case shows, but if i knew how to send you a picture i could show you that in my manual fuse number 1 is on the left, fuse 1 15a / rotating beacon, horn, hand lamp connection. fuse 2 15a cab power supply. fuse 3 20a power supply for cabin-working headlights on boom and cabin. fuse410a solenoid valve for tow speed operation and track width. fuse 5 10a solenoid valve for slewing gear/offset and auxiliary hydraulic system. fuse 6 5a engine safety relay, power supplyfor instrument panel, fuel pump. stewartbob.
                      well, could be a confusion as this is -15bxtv. I have that machine an of course could see what's there and simulate what happens when taking some fuses out.

that is only possible tomorrow afternoon after work, sorry.

Comment

Well I was going from the fuse nearest me as I look in the cab which is 10 amp no2 and it definately kills the hydraulics when you remove it, so thats where your problem is. To get to the solenoid is a bit of a pig, you will need to inspect it incase its melted which I suspect it may be, its attached to a big square block bolted to the tray base under the hydraulic filter. If as you say you dont have an XTV that simplifies matters as there is only one solenoid on the side of the block instead of two it measures about 2" by 1" square, take the floor out and have a look.

Comment

Well I was going from the fuse nearest me as I look in the cab which is 10 amp no2 and it definately kills the hydraulics when you remove it, so thats where your problem is. To get to the solenoid is a bit of a pig, you will need to inspect it incase its melted which I suspect it may be, its attached to a big square block bolted to the tray base under the hydraulic filter. If as you say you dont have an XTV that simplifies matters as there is only one solenoid on the side of the block instead of two it measures about 2" by 1" square, take the floor out and have a look.
                          Great! Muz was faster than me (and a lot more experienced with the -15's)

there's a service call on the solenoids. They should be changed as they might burn...

catch you guys tomorrow

Comment

Ec15b

Hi muz, thanks for doing that ,you don't that I am a complete novice when it comes to these machines but I do like to try and do these jobs myself to learn about them. Could you be a little more specific about the solenoid I am looking for, does have any cables on it , also where do I start with taking out the floor, is that the cab floor .. sorry bud am complete novice . Stewartbob..

Comment

Hi muz, thanks for doing that ,you don't that I am a complete novice when it comes to these machines but I do like to try and do these jobs myself to learn about them. Could you be a little more specific about the solenoid I am looking for, does have any cables on it , also where do I start with taking out the floor, is that the cab floor .. sorry bud am complete novice . Stewartbob..
                              Hey no worries mate .. thats why we exist... to help out fellow muckers in trouble So the floor is held in by 4 x 13mm or 14mmm bolts (cant remember which) that screw into captive nuts in the floor. If they've been in too long they can rust in situ and be a bit of a pig to get out, especially if the captive nuts start to rotate ideally the quick way out is just to burn the heads off the bolts ... not so easy with a plastic floor tray and takes a dab hand on the old acetylene torch without setting ya digga on fire ... you'll also need to remove the panel under the seat first, 2 x 12mm bolts either side hold that in. Once the floor is out look to your right under the seat, you'll see the filter can for the hydraulics, and under that is a 5x5 inch square anodised block that controls the spool functions, as dictated by the dead mans switch under the left console, right at the bottom facing away from you is a pilot spigot, over which slips the solenoid, should have a blue cap on the end of it and an electrical connector coming out of it, if it doesent feel square perfectly, it may have melted, if so, it will need to be replaced ... sometimes they melt over time and the smell of burning is not always obvious, but when they do will cause a dead short that will blow ya fuse

Let us know how you get on .. cos if it needs replaced ... that was the easy bit

Comment

Working...
                              X