Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding down a 1993 JCB 3CX

1993 JCB 3CX Sitemaster Plus.

Last year I replaced (re-manufactured) primary sludge water collector, and from what I remember I bled the system down starting with that pre-filter, then to the nut on top of the main fuel filter.

Today I was so engrossed digging out a bank to park two 4x4s, and like an idiot I ran out of diesel.
    I tipped in around 40 litres of diesel and now want to bleed down the system.
    The fuel line runs from the tank to the pre filter then on to fuel pump then to the main fuel filter.
    I've got the cam for the pump set correctly and I removed the bleed screw from the top of the pre filter and started pumping but no fuel is coming out of the bleed screw hole. On each pump stroke it sounds like fuel going back into the fuel tank!

I must be missing something but can't think what. The procedure for bleeding down in the official JCB manual doesn't work either. It suggests to switch on the ignition and pump for two minutes and the engine should start (Load of cods-wallop).

James.
    No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.

Just add, I've since disconnected the fuel line from the tank to the pre-water filter and blown it through with compressed air. I could hear the air bubbling into the tank and fuel came out of the line due to the tank being pressurised with the air so no blockages.
    No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.

Comment

water saturated filter, not allowing fuel to pass through it???
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        water saturated filter, not allowing fuel to pass through it???
        You mean the main fuel filter? This has recently been changed and the glass bowl just shows yellow diesel, no water. I also loosened the plug on the bottom of the water/sludge filter, just diesel no water.

I've had this bleed down problem before but can't remember the solution. I know at the time I didn't know about the water sludge filter underneath the coolant tank and I blew compressed air from the tank side of the lift pump. There was a fairly loud bang which is how I discovered the water/sludge filter, it had blown the plastic bowl complete with sludge over the engine. I made up a new bowl using 70mm plastic plumbing pipe and glued on an end cap. I drilled and tapped the end cap for the water drain and for the the long main fixing bolt. (This is absolutely air tight so no air getting in there)

I read somewhere to start bleeding by opening the screw on top of the water/sludge filter, and as far as I can remember diesel poured out but not this time.
        When I try the JCB manual method with the ignition on, I can hear either bubbles or fuel dripping back into the tank so the lift pump is working OK.
        I just can't think how to get a solid line of fuel to the injector pump

Comment

Problem solved

I went through all of the fuel lines and components one by one.

The problem turned out to be the filter 'O' ring on the pre filter. It hadn't seated properly with the filter bowl going slightly outside of the seal.
          It was enough to keep the engine running by not leaking diesel although the pre filter was wet and dirty, but could not hold air pressure when being primed.

Everything now back together and the JCB running like clockwork.
          What I need is a loud warning in the cab, FFS put some diesel in

James.

Comment

more often than not summat simple glad it's sorted mate ....... big sticker on the window

**DIESEL**
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

more often than not summat simple glad it's sorted mate ....... big sticker on the window

**DIESEL**

I'm going to do something just like that and stick it on the windscreen

Diesel is around one Euro per litre in Spain but my JCB is not insured to drive on public roads as I only use it here on our Finca/farm, so I can't drive to the nearest filling station 12 Kms. away.
              Every other month I take my boat over to Gibraltar and fill up the 800 litre tank and about the same again in 25 ltr. containers in the hold. This is proper yellow road diesel but tax free for boats at 42pence. per litre

This is what I put into the JCB (When I remember) and into our diesel cars.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLiner View Post
                This is proper yellow road diesel but tax free for boats at 42pence. per litre

Nice .. its Almost 3 times that here in Scotland .. and we make the bloody stuff
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I'm going to do something just like that and stick it on the windscreen

Diesel is around one Euro per litre in Spain but my JCB is not insured to drive on public roads as I only use it here on our Finca/farm, so I can't drive to the nearest filling station 12 Kms. away.
                  Every other month I take my boat over to Gibraltar and fill up the 800 litre tank and about the same again in 25 ltr. containers in the hold. This is proper yellow road diesel but tax free for boats at 42pence. per litre

Comment

Think we get it for 50p a litre, then again thats bio diesel. Bloody rancid stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Locofitter View Post
                      Think we get it for 50p a litre, then again thats bio diesel. Bloody rancid stuff!
                      Paying 50p a litre for red here ATM

Comment

More Scottish stuff.

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                        Nice .. its Almost 3 times that here in Scotland .. and we make the bloody stuff
                        You also make the stuff from Scotland that I buy from our local supermarket in Gibraltar, no wonder I can't see the fuel gauge

Bells 43º £7.49 litre and Bombay Sapphire 47º industrial strength £8.95. Cheap old Beefeater Gin is only £6.49

James (Hic)
                        Attached Files

Comment

You also make the stuff from Scotland that I buy from our local supermarket in Gibraltar, no wonder I can't see the fuel gauge

Bells 43º £7.49 litre and Bombay Sapphire 47º industrial strength £8.95. Cheap old Beefeater Gin is only £6.49

James (Hic)
                          'sa wonder you can find the harbour, let alone the bloody boat for the trip home

Comment

Red to yellow in one easy move.

Paying 50p a litre for red here ATM
                            I learned this from my Spanish neighbours many years ago.
                            We buy our local wine in 20 litre glass "garafas". When they are empty, fill them with red diesel and leave them in the sun. The UV rays degrade the red colour and turns the diesel back to the pale yellow colour.
                            Most neighbours had around fifty of these on the go and would use the de-coloured diesel first then refill them with red.
                            I took this further as I had an underground 6000 litre diesel tank for heating oil. This should have been blue but was always delivered as red diesel at the same price. I installed two ultra violet bulbs/floodlights into the inspection cover at the top of the tank, and in a week or so the diesel was colourless and then used in our diesel vehicles.

Unless the formula is different, try filling a clear glass bottle with red diesel and leave it outside (assuming you've got any sunlight) and see what happens.

Oh, and the taste between the local wine and diesel is about the same

James

Comment

I learned this from my Spanish neighbours many years ago.
                              We buy our local wine in 20 litre glass "garafas". When they are empty, fill them with red diesel and leave them in the sun. The UV rays degrade the red colour and turns the diesel back to the pale yellow colour.
                              Most neighbours had around fifty of these on the go and would use the de-coloured diesel first then refill them with red.
                              I took this further as I had an underground 6000 litre diesel tank for heating oil. This should have been blue but was always delivered as red diesel at the same price. I installed two ultra violet bulbs/floodlights into the inspection cover at the top of the tank, and in a week or so the diesel was colourless and then used in our diesel vehicles.

Unless the formula is different, try filling a clear glass bottle with red diesel and leave it outside (assuming you've got any sunlight) and see what happens.

Oh, and the taste between the local wine and diesel is about the same

James
                              Hmm ..... very interesting ..... the 'patent' method round these parts is catsan, cat litter to filter the dye out .... works well apparently

Have to give that one a try .... if we ever get to see the sun again

Comment

Working...
                              X