JCB 8014 late nineties with some issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 8014 late nineties with some issues

Good evening, recently bought a JCB 8014 mini digger and when on full revs the temperature warning light flickers on and off and the power in the machine is not great when digging. There is a slight leak on the bottom hose of the water pump. Took radiator cap off and it wasn't bubbling so no head damage (I hope). The radiator fins have mud on them and about 30% are damaged. The oil cooler fins are 70% clogged with mud. Took radiator/oil cooler off and used air compressor to clean the radiator and oil cooler. Are there any other things I should be looking at such as thermostat or temperature sender etc? Can I test the thermostat without taking the water pump off? Can I test the temp sender? Unfortunately I only have a basic mechanical understanding, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance and sorry it's a bit long winded

Originally posted by jonwilliams View Post
    sorry it's a bit long winded
    Well its a JCB story .. .. anyways ... are you saying after you've cleaned the RAD fins, the light is still coming on ? Does it boil over ? Does the RAD cap hold pressure ? Does the light come on solid when you disconnect the temp sensor ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Muz, and thanks for the response. I haven't put the rad back in yet in case i needed to check anything else. When it was running I didn't leave it long enough to see if it boils over. How to you check the rad pressure on the cap? I haven't tried to disconnect sensor and try it. Do you suggest putting it back together and then trying it?

Comment

Hi Muz, and thanks for the response. I haven't put the rad back in yet in case i needed to check anything else. When it was running I didn't leave it long enough to see if it boils over. How to you check the rad pressure on the cap? I haven't tried to disconnect sensor and try it. Do you suggest putting it back together and then trying it?
        you've got to start somewhere with the process of elimination Jon, so I'd say yes, with a very watchful eye on everything.

If the rads were as choked as you seem to indicate, it certainly will not have been helping the cause.
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Well you might be worrying about nothing then .. re build the rad .. run and test and lets go from there
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for your help so far, busy weekend ahead !

Comment

in hot water

Hi Jon, thermostat opens at 82 degrees, cannot be removed without removing the water pump, which has an advantage of being able to check the water pump for wear, but you will need two gaskets. temperature sensor is a switch , so should be easy enough to check, but if its flickering is there a fault? unless its wavering on the high temp setting, check if there is water in sump oil. that will tell you if head gasket has gone. Radiator core can be replaced, check local area . hope this helps

Good evening, recently bought a JCB 8014 mini digger and when on full revs the temperature warning light flickers on and off and the power in the machine is not great when digging. There is a slight leak on the bottom hose of the water pump. Took radiator cap off and it wasn't bubbling so no head damage (I hope). The radiator fins have mud on them and about 30% are damaged. The oil cooler fins are 70% clogged with mud. Took radiator/oil cooler off and used air compressor to clean the radiator and oil cooler. Are there any other things I should be looking at such as thermostat or temperature sender etc? Can I test the thermostat without taking the water pump off? Can I test the temp sender? Unfortunately I only have a basic mechanical understanding, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance and sorry it's a bit long winded

Comment

Working...
              X