Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero emissions diggers

https://www.volvoce.com/global/en/ne...tor-prototype/
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

I am quite interested in the tech they use for the rams .. personally IMV this looks like a lot of trouble .. I mean how often do you get failures with a washing machine ? .. I'm not convinced
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Be interesting to see how smoothly it digs with the electric controls .

Comment

I believe there's great potential. It would be good to work in an exhaust fume free environment. It certainly is not good for health to inhale tons on particulate emissions from old excavator engines. Some of us do that for thousands of hour in a year. Equally, would prefer listening to music and birds singing rather than the raw diesel noise.

efficiency is another very important factor in case you want to earn some money...:)

Comment

Looks very interesting. I do a fair few jobs indoors or very confined areas. All electric would be a great improvement for me. If it can genuinely work 8 hard hours per charge and costs less than the equivalent diesel what is not to like?
          Didn't understand "The hydraulic architecture has also been replaced with electric architecture which incorporates electromechanical linear actuators that help to optimize the transmission chain". Are they saying the rams are not hydraulic, but wound in and out by electric motors?
          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Grahams View Post
            Didn't understand "The hydraulic architecture has also been replaced with electric architecture which incorporates electromechanical linear actuators that help to optimize the transmission chain". Are they saying the rams are not hydraulic, but wound in and out by electric motors?
            Graham
            Yes and thats the bit I'm interested in, because when you think about how many times a ram get stroked on a normal day, theres going to have to be something very clever and reliable in there to make this thing viable, and they claim it has the same power ? ... Id have thought keeping the rams hydraulic would have been the way forward as its so reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Yes and thats the bit I'm interested in, because when you think about how many times a ram get stroked on a normal day, theres going to have to be something very clever and reliable in there to make this thing viable, and they claim it has the same power ? ... Id have thought keeping the rams hydraulic would have been the way forward as its so reliable.
              I suppose as it is a concept machine they are trying everything different, but in reality hydraulics work very well, why mess about with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Grahams View Post
                I suppose as it is a concept machine they are trying everything different, but in reality hydraulics work very well, why mess about with them?
                even though hydraulics work well, it still looses a lot of energy due to pump that runs all the day. Th electric rams use energy only when actually doing something useful.

That explains why the battery is well enough for the workday.

I have been following development of electric drive trains and most likely the same development happens in work machines that we have seen in electric cars. I believe that all big manufacturers are testing electric concepts and we will see some commercial products within 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
                  even though hydraulics work well, it still looses a lot of energy due to pump that runs all the day. Th electric rams use energy only when actually doing something useful.

That explains why the battery is well enough for the workday.

I have been following development of electric drive trains and most likely the same development happens in work machines that we have seen in electric cars. I believe that all big manufacturers are testing electric concepts and we will see some commercial products within 5 years.
                  Yes that was my thought .. a pump running constantly will use a hell of a lot of power, With todays stop/start tech in cars though, I thought they could have reduced that to a useable level ?. I just cant imagine a bunch of electric rams being anywhere as responsive as a good hydraulics system. I mean a straight up and down cylider can only be a worm or ratchet and pinion type drive ? any other guesses ? .. maybe its a small pump on every ram keeping it hydraulic ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Yes that was my thought .. a pump running constantly will use a hell of a lot of power, With todays stop/start tech in cars though, I thought they could have reduced that to a useable level ?. I just cant imagine a bunch of electric rams being anywhere as responsive as a good hydraulics system. I mean a straight up and down cylider can only be a worm or ratchet and pinion type drive ? any other guesses ? .. maybe its a small pump on every ram keeping it hydraulic ?
                    could well be, looking at the pix Muz

if they were electro mechanical, screw type actuators, they'd have to be much longer, unless they're multi stage acme thread type screws, enclosed in those outers .... can't see anything other than hydraulic fitting the dimensions, otherwise ..... or being fast enough .... I'd be concerned about cable life on the crowd ram actuator's supply, where it passes through the dipper's articulation point. They're some cables those
                    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                      could well be, looking at the pix Muz

if they were electro mechanical, screw type actuators, they'd have to be much longer, unless they're multi stage acme thread type screws, enclosed in those outers .... can't see anything other than hydraulic fitting the dimensions, otherwise ..... or being fast enough .... I'd be concerned about cable life on the crowd ram actuator's supply, where it passes through the dipper's articulation point. They're some cables those
                      https://m.boschrexroth.com/en/xc/pro...ctuators/index

like these?

Comment

Spot on find there Boyo
                        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

that would appear to be what they are using. Good find.
                          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                            Spot on find there Boyo
                            yea but whats inside them ? I looked through several links and found nothing .. as seasoned plant men... we know what the f..k works ?

Comment

Hummm, so I wonder if anyone makes an electric rock breaker ., and tilty / turny hitch .

Comment

Working...
                              X