How to become operator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become operator

Hello. I wish to become operator. Where do I start?
    There are so many different courses with different price. So far I have found this one:
    http://www.citb.co.uk/national-const...ove-10-tonnes/
    Is it correct thing? Is that everything I need? Is it easy to find a job without experience (I can work for a lot less money)? Thanks.

welcome to the forum Boyo ..... all I can say is good luck with that one .... do you have any 'in seat' experience at all?

CITB tickets are not actually a legal requirement 'per se' .... just that without them, you'll not get on any major sites .... ditto without seat time
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hi. My only experience in this field is that I was driving rough terrain fork truck for few years in my previous work at car scrap yard. So you think it is a waste of money, because no one will hire me with no experience? Because that is a lot of money for me.
      I looked through jobsites and some of ads don't mention experience, some of them mention it in capital letters.

Comment

Originally posted by Animatrix View Post
        Hi. My only experience in this field is that I was driving rough terrain fork truck for few years in my previous work at car scrap yard. So you think it is a waste of money, because no one will hire me with no experience? Because that is a lot of money for me.
        I looked through jobsites and some of ads don't mention experience, some of them mention it in capital letters.
        Rock and a hard place Boyo ..... chicken and egg, without a break to get you started ....... the whole system is shit anyway
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I don't understand. Are you are saying go for it or don't bother?

Comment

Operate what?
            If you wanna get to operate excavators, your best bet is to start out labouring, and hope for a chance for seat time on sick days or the like..
            If you start out driving dumpers and wheel loaders, chances are you'll get stuck right there..

Comment

Tell a few white lies ,you said you've driven/operated a rough terrain forklift so you have some plant experience . All I can suggest is the same as what's been suggested earlier ,get a start as a ground worker and make it your goal to get to know the machinemen on site .Another tip is to close your mouth and open you ears ,even if you think what your asked to do is wrong just do as they say ,show how keen you are to learn . Unfortunately the modern day system is an absolute disgrace ,the give tickets out like sweets nowadays .

Good luck anyways

Sean
              Dial before you dig

Comment

Working...
              X