Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC 15B - Creaking noise at the end of a cabin slew

Hello,

my EC 15B has following effect: At the end of a cabin slew (left Joystick left/right) when I make a fast reposition to neutral to stop the slew, a creaking noise appears. There is nothing strange at the accelleration of the turn and while the turn. Only after moving the joystick to neutral the cabin slew stops and the noise appears. If the stoping is done by a slow re-neutral, the noise doesīt appear.
    I made a little movie. At the last turn, the noise ist to hear well.

Btw: This is rather a mechanical problem as a hydraulic one. Maybe the thread would be better placed in a mechanical area.

Regards wowe
    Last edited by wowe; 05-01-2018, 12:24 PM.

Probably just some oil squish noise as the flow is shut off to the motor. I take it there is no grinding or vibration at the same time ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Probably just some oil squish noise as the flow is shut off to the motor. I take it there is no grinding or vibration at the same time ?
      There are grindings or vibrations. The whole movement is smooth. But the noise is like the noise of an old, big door from a castle. If this nois comes from the oil, I would expect this sounds softlier.

Comment

Holly shit... sorry

There are NO grindings or vibrations. The whole movement is smooth. But the noise is like the noise of an old, big door from a castle. If this nois comes from the oil, I would expect this sounds softlier.

Comment

Well maybe your oil is contaminated, old, or the filters need changed .... contamination with something may allow the oil to trap air, or change its viscosity ,.. and this could induce a different sound on certain functions .. but .. if everything works as it should, there doesn't seem to be anything mechanically wrong. If you are concerned, do an oil change and filter change and go from there .. It may be a couple of bucks to do .. but it wont hurt the machine to do it especially if you dont know its history.
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Wove,

If the noise you described is like a screech or a little metallic scraping sound when you stop slewing, my -15B has similar noise. The noise sounds like the car brake pads touching the rotor.

When looking at the hydraulic diagram and the source of the noise, there is a match: the slew motor has a brake and that causes some noise if I have understood that correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
              When looking at the hydraulic diagram and the source of the noise, there is a match: the slew motor has a brake and that causes some noise if I have understood that correctly.
              Which diagram do you mean? I have a diagram with the whole hydraulic, but at the slewing motor I canīt see a brake.

Comment

Originally posted by wowe View Post
                Which diagram do you mean? I have a diagram with the whole hydraulic, but at the slewing motor I canīt see a brake.
                My diagram legend text says slewing motor with brake. Circle with two arrows pointing to centre. But dont know exactly how it works or whats inside.

Comment

My diagram legend text says slewing motor with brake. Circle with two arrows pointing to centre. But dont know exactly how it works or whats inside.
                  You are right. But in the spare part section is a cut drawing of the slewing motor and you might see, that there is no brake part. At least I donīt see one.

Comment

You are right. But in the spare part section is a cut drawing of the slewing motor and you might see, that there is no brake part. At least I donīt see one.
                    Hmmm... my service manual does not have that section at all. Could the noise originate from the bearing surfaces between the upper (rotating) and lower part (the one with tracks) of the doug?

Comment

Hmmm... my service manual does not have that section at all. Could the noise originate from the bearing surfaces between the upper (rotating) and lower part (the one with tracks) of the doug?
                      I will exclude this. The slewing is done full smoth. Independent of the position there is no mechanical grinding or vibration. The cabin rotates like "welle greased". Even if the noise at the end of the slew occurs, there is no mechanical impact to sense.

I will make a service in the comming weeks and change the hydraulic oi. While this action I will make a trial to find the origin of the noise.

So long

wowe

Comment

I will exclude this. The slewing is done full smoth. Independent of the position there is no mechanical grinding or vibration. The cabin rotates like "welle greased". Even if the noise at the end of the slew occurs, there is no mechanical impact to sense.

I will make a service in the comming weeks and change the hydraulic oi. While this action I will make a trial to find the origin of the noise.

So long

wowe
                        Great, one fault eliminated.

I changed the hydraulic oil in the summer. Even though it says 33 litres, the actual volume you will be able to fill in is around 18...20 litres. I have an extra can of oil because bought too much.

Waiting for your report...

Comment

Working...
                        X