Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Battery powered Rammer & Compaction Plates

  1. #1
    New Start
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    mid-wales / shropshire borders
    Posts
    32

    Battery powered Rammer & Compaction Plates

    What is the general feeling on Battery powered Trench Rammers and Wacker Plates " Zero Emissions technology " ?

  2. #2
    Looks slow but IS fast Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,040
    Dunno about them .. but theres been a few posts here about diggers and a lot of questions about how electro hydraulics work, and if they can be more efficient than conventional powered systems .. and whether they are worth the extra cost ? Would you get more hire revenue ? well thats a lol
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

  3. #3
    New Start
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    mid-wales / shropshire borders
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Dunno about them .. but theres been a few posts here about diggers and a lot of questions about how electro hydraulics work, and if they can be more efficient than conventional powered systems .. and whether they are worth the extra cost ? Would you get more hire revenue ? well thats a lol
    I was referring to battery operated hand-held trench Rammer from Wacker Neuson, simply clip the charged battery to the unit & use ( just switch the switch ) , no pull cord, no choke, no fuel to store, no mixing 2 stroke, no " wont bloody start " because it has dirty fuel of has flooded.. Wacker are promoting these battery powered tools & I'm sure a battery powered plate will soon follow the Rammer.. If you think back maybe 15 or 20 years battery drills were a thing of fiction or a thing of dreams, everyone now has everything battery,, Drills, Saws, Grinders, Grease guns, Impact guns, & now it will soon be the turn of larger tools as the battery technology improves.. I am sure over the life of a battery powered tool the saving on time fetching fuel, starting the engine the cost of the fuel to start with will balance the extra cost you will have up-front.. What if you could hire a battery on a weekly or monthly program to bring the initial cost of the tool down, you also get zero emissions & a hell of a lot less noise when working in sensitive areas.. We see it with vehicles It is going to follow into the construction industry sooner or later & in my opinion we have to take it with both hands when it comes.

  4. #4
    Looks slow but IS fast Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,040
    And fair points there ..but until they can be produced cheaply enough, they wont be viable, because like I mentioned, theres no way you'll get any extra revenue for them, plus, I think with those devices, its the vibration that will be the killer for the battery technology.
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

  5. #5
    New Start
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    mid-wales / shropshire borders
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    And fair points there ..but until they can be produced cheaply enough, they wont be viable, because like I mentioned, theres no way you'll get any extra revenue for them, plus, I think with those devices, its the vibration that will be the killer for the battery technology.
    If your in a sensitive area where noise & pollution are both issues, the battery has to be the way forward, I had the chance to use a Battery Rammer for an afternoon & sharing your concernes went into it with a very very open mind,, I was more than impressed, No fumes in the trench was the biggest thing & then no effort to start the engine was the 2nd most noticeable thing.. With the battery, which is the expense if you could rent them or hire them as you go along it is only the same as buying fuel but without the trip to the fuel station, Less red tape transporting or storing fuel on site also has to be a good thing,

    There is a fair chance battery will become the new norm with all tools & some machines in time to come,

  6. #6
    Apprentice joiner
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    226
    Electric drive trains, batteries and electric actuators are on their way to the market, but as their are not mainstream, the cost is still highish. As quite a bit of the activity is renovation and electricity is available, electric equipment could be used. Less noise, lack of toxic exhaust fumes and economy are the major benefits.

    I expect to see several manufacturers to introduce at least prototypes or concepts of electrically driven equipment.

  7. #7
    New Start
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    mid-wales / shropshire borders
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattir View Post
    Electric drive trains, batteries and electric actuators are on their way to the market, but as their are not mainstream, the cost is still highish. As quite a bit of the activity is renovation and electricity is available, electric equipment could be used. Less noise, lack of toxic exhaust fumes and economy are the major benefits.

    I expect to see several manufacturers to introduce at least prototypes or concepts of electrically driven equipment.

    I have been told Wacker have a more battery power equipment coming over the following months,

  8. #8
    Building Site Manager Stock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hibernia.......The PRC
    Posts
    1,876
    When one casts an eye to the professional landscaping tool manufacturers like husky and stihl the are using back packs to get any reasonable work time from their equipment, but I suppose in time petrol and diesel will be the rarity.............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

  9. #9
    Apprentice joiner
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock View Post
    When one casts an eye to the professional landscaping tool manufacturers like husky and stihl the are using back packs to get any reasonable work time from their equipment, but I suppose in time petrol and diesel will be the rarity.............
    Another option is to use replaceable batteries. You need only a couple of them and ideally one could charge those in car while working and put in a fresh battery during the coffee break.

  10. #10
    New Start
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    mid-wales / shropshire borders
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattir View Post
    Another option is to use replaceable batteries. You need only a couple of them and ideally one could charge those in car while working and put in a fresh battery during the coffee break.
    Wacker will be launching a new battery powered plate compactor very Very soon, The trench rammer they already have & the new plate will use the same clip on batteries

    ( rammer + plate compactor + 2 batteries + 1 chargers = your in business with 2 tools )

Similar Threads

  1. Small powered soil screen
    By Wee Jim in forum Stuff Wanted
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-04-2016, 10:06 AM
  2. Wanted!!! Small powered soil screen
    By Wee Jim in forum Stuff Wanted
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-04-2016, 09:29 AM
  3. Battery Operated Tracking - up to 15 years battery life!
    By JayRob in forum Tell us about your services, up and coming events or products here
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM
  4. Battery Polarity
    By 2414.ginger in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
  5. Car battery technology
    By Muz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •