Volvo bl71 plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo bl71 plus

Hello all, I am a newbie here and fairly new to plant operating etc but I do have a very experienced operator to operate my 180 backhoe that I’m in the market for at the moment.

I have been offered a 2009 Volvo bl71 plus and after viewing it I noted the following issues with it:

1) the front left wheel has a bit of play in it, like it is sliding back and forth on a spline feeling. I’m not sure if it’s as straight forward as a wheel bearing or not, does anybody know what this could be (worst case scenario)?

2) the seller had said that occasionally it won’t start, it will turn over but just not start up, if it’s left for 30mins or so and you try again it starts fine. I’m not sure if this may just be an air lock in the fuel or something more serious. Does anybody know what could be causing this (worst case scenario)?

3) when the machine is first started (cold) there is a slight whining noise coming from it, that disappears as it warms up, the owner said the oil had been sampled for filings etc but it was clean so he doesn’t believe it’s from the transmission. Does anybody know what could be causing this (worst case scenario)?

In general does anybody have any experience of a Volvo bl71plus that could give me advice and advise on what value the 2009 Volvo I described above would be worth.

Thank you very much in advance and I look forward to having many more discussions in the future.

Best regards

Campbell

Welcome Not a very popular machine so will be hard for you to get a fair judgement on ...they only brought them out, just as the wheeled machine market was starting to contract ... for sure knowing Volvo (although not this machine) it wont be cheap to fix , and I dont like the sound of some of the problems you describe
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thank you Muz,

The reason I am considering a 180 is purely for ease of transportation (no need for low loaders etc). If I considered a 5ton 360 as my first piece of equipment what would be the best way to transport this, tractor and low loader?

Comment

Originally posted by KAMIKAZIO View Post
        Thank you Muz,

The reason I am considering a 180 is purely for ease of transportation (no need for low loaders etc). If I considered a 5ton 360 as my first piece of equipment what would be the best way to transport this, tractor and low loader?
        Yes if your radius isnt too far .. might have to start looking into this myself, because replacing my 30 tonner is going to cost a shed load of cash, and its getting harder to pass the HGV medicals as I get older
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by KAMIKAZIO View Post
          Thank you Muz,

Don't even go there ..... very few legal scenarios for this mode of transportation on the Queen's highway.
          A huge topic of discussion all over ATM, especially as DVSA are starting to seize non compliant gear .... and not give it back

there're lots of folk who've been abusing this for years who are now getting ultra twitchy about just how close they 'sail to the wind'.
          Most are simply non compliant ... end of

By the time you achieve compliance, it's cheaper and easier to run a truck
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            A huge topic of discussion all over ATM, especially as DVSA are starting to seize non compliant gear .... and not give it back
            ............... By the time you achieve compliance, it's cheaper and easier to run a truck
            Well I used to be the one warning the halfway/contractors against it for years, there was a death over my way last year from a JCB Fast track combo hauling a 14 tonner which went out of control, didnt hear the end reason but suspect it was a brake issue on the trailer. The main beef was always people ripping the arse out of it for years, what forum is ATM ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Well I used to be the one warning the halfway/contractors against it for years, there was a death over my way last year from a JCB Fast track combo hauling a 14 tonner which went out of control, didnt hear the end reason but suspect it was a brake issue on the trailer. The main beef was always people ripping the arse out of it for years, what forum is ATM ?
              " A huge topic of discussion all over, At The Moment " .... sorry Muz forgot the comma ..... massive discussions/arguments/mud slinging on FB pages, Twitter, forums of all descriptions

genuine hauliers well pissed off with being unable to compete.

plant operators ........ ditto.

farmers and sons saying they're fine and dandy, kicking folks arses, by not having huge movement costs for machines or muck away. (No tosser emoji)

some serious heated arguments.

several round here who take the piss ALL THE TIME
              operating with machines behind traccies with dump trailers hauling shite away

'Bout time they had their nuts removed ...... and their non compliant kit/operations ....... IMHDO
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Was talks here of enforcing the derv for non agri operations namely plant and construction work but all has rumbled on without any change.........
                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
                X