Benford 1-71HE Pedestrian Single Roller Clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benford 1-71HE Pedestrian Single Roller Clutch issue

I've had this Benford 1-71HE single pedestrian roller for years - has the Hatz engine and works well (albeit I only use it occasionally about the farm.

However for a long time it's had an issue with the clutch that engages vibration - operate the lever and the clutch doesn't engage. Get a thin lath, poke the bell crank at the far end of the cable (very dodgy as lath has to go down the side of spinning bits :( ) and off she goes vibrating nicely. I've never got in as far as the bell crank itself but liberally oiled it from above (anointed perhaps!) and I've had the clutch triangular bit apart and can see nothing wrong - but something is obviously sticking.

As I've got it in the workshop to replace the battery (my fault - left uncharged over winter) I'd like to pull it apart and sort this issue at last.

Anybody been here before with any pointers? No doubt it's not that complicated, but before bits start flying off into dark corners never to be seen again it's be nice to know what they are :)

Ideally I'd like to find a manual or at least an exploded diagram to see what's what - any help appreciated

Andrew Mawson

I had at it today and sorted the issue. Long story short - the bell crank had seized onto it's pivot bolt, and the only rotation motion was the mounting thread screwing up and unscrewing. This explains why sometimes it jammed solid. Took it all apart, de-rusted the pivot and crank and put it all back together with copperslip grease.

Access was a nightmare - the machine top cover is obviously intended just to unclip, but the electrical box with the ignition switch in is fixed to it with the cables being in flexy conduit too short to remove the cover

I've managed to disturb some wiring as it's not charging any more, but the relevant wires are sandwiched between the engine and the water tank. Need to remove the tank to get at them but some bozo has welded the tank on !

Anyone got a wiring diagram ?

Comment

electric start ... got to swing mine
      my clutch has always been a tad temperamental .... probably in need of some friction material on it ..
      it's in need of some major surgery ATM ..... new rubbers on the drive flange ....
      got them here, just not had the weather or enthusiasm to tackle it .... the drive side is kin heavy to lift off whole
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
      X