Watch Out for Water in the Fuel !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Out for Water in the Fuel !

Just before I parked up earlier in the week I fuelled up my JCB803 to the brim as usual.

Must have had water in the fuel as I was greeted by a slick of diesel across the floor of the tractor shed - entire tank contents had dumped as water in the sedimenter froze breaking the plastic bowl clean off.

Bit expensive paying for Red and getting H2O

Broken-Bowl-#1.jpgSolid-Ice-#2.jpgSolid-Ice-#1.jpgFuel-Slick.jpg

Could have been in your own tank ? .. Ive just had to change mine due to a split appearing along its top (stored outside right enough) ... and Ive no idea how long its been there ? .. when I cleared it out there was about 3 gallons of water in it .. fortunately I had enough of a rear bias on the base to keep all the water to the back and none came out from the dispenser hose before I discovered it. Also you'll always get 'some' condensation from the diggers own tank anyway .. but not that much
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

there's always a small percentage of water in cherry .... 'swhy the tank should be inclined back, or the outlet be a few inches above the bottom of the tank .... a well made tank will have a drain plug to remove any accumulations. Plus as said .... condensation's a bugger ... can't keep the supply tank brim full
      Frost'll soon show up any water for sure
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

We'll all have to get some fancy funnels me thinks..........................
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Cold damp weather will do that. I try to remember every few months to drain off any water and sediment out of the bottom of the tank. Several years back I was running a loaner from a Cat dealer and the primary fuel filter kept plugging up with sediment and water, the old man came out with extra filters and some fuel treatment. We plugged at least two more filters and I dumped the whole can of fuel treatment (I should add it was about -30C that day) I found the tank drain and an old windshield washer fluid bottle and drain nearly two litres of shite and water out of the tank. The old fart didn't think that was the problem still so he buggered off to the shop and I changed the filter once more and the machine didn't stall anymore. He came back about an hour and a half later as I was loading back up on to the lowbed and was dumbfounded that I fixed the problem. I always hated working with him, perpetually spending $10 to save $1.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            I always hated working with him, perpetually spending $10 to save $1.
            You have them to 245dlc really grind my bones that type..................

We would have a very damp athmosphere here but can't say I suffered from excessive water contamination..........keep tank drained and do so before and after a delivery.................
            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Oh yes we have far too many of them Stock. We have a number of factors that contribute to water in the fuel other than ignorance of proper maintenance. 1. Weather extremes of -40C to nearly +40C in the summer
              2. Quality of fuel isn't that great and in recent years there have been many complaints of contamination plus the lack of lubrication due to the low sulfur requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                We'll all have to get some fancy funnels me thinks..........................
                I have one of these fuel funnel cleaners. Works amazingly well. Naff video, but shows you the idea. Can get them on ebay or Amazon.
                Graham
                http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

Comment

Working...
                X