Hitachi 8t failure alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi 8t failure alert

Saw this in the press. Not sure if anyone on here has one of the affected models.
    Graham
    On 21st March 2018 the arm of an excavator on a BAM Nuttall site failed due to undetected metal fatigue. A riddling bucket was segregating material prior to backfilling when the cylinder brackets, fixed to the upper dipper arm, failed. The brackets and cylinders separated from the dipper arm, resulting in the arm dropping uncontrollably.

The Japanese manufacturer initially issued an alert in May 2016 when it received reports of similar fractures. It warned that fractures can go unnoticed and can lead to both brackets becoming separated from the arm due to fatigue. However, manufacturers’ alerts are only issued to original purchasers, not to owners of second-hand machines.

BAM Nuttall’s alert is now being disseminated by the Construction Plant-hire Association.

The models affected include: Zaxis ZX85US-3 ZX85USB-3 all; ZX85US-5 Serial Number 80030; and ZX85USB-5 Serial number range 100010-100063.

Owners of these machines are advised to inspect components and contact Hitachi Construction Machinery (UK) for further information.

Thanks for sharing fella
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

their 5 tonners aren't a lot better either
      seen a lot of 'em plated up around the dipper rod bosses .... don't seem to be man enough IMHDO
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I had an EX60 dash 5 from new that I couldn't stop the bottom dipper boss from coming adrift, needed welded every 6 months, clearly not enough support from inside the dipper pretty poor I thought in respect of how well regarded the brand is in general ? ... and as for the wee EX8 3/4 tonner .. dont even start me !!! Nylon bushes all round ? ......
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          I had an EX60 dash 5 from new that I couldn't stop the bottom dipper boss from coming adrift, needed welded every 6 months, clearly not enough support from inside the dipper pretty poor I thought in respect of how well regarded the brand is in general ? ... and as for the wee EX8 3/4 tonner .. dont even start me !!! Nylon bushes all round ? ......
          We served our time in the early days 1st with euro-tom ( a re-badge'ed nagano ) & then with Hanix, ( the Nagano was a budget Hanix ), the front end of the chassis where the king post is fitted was forever pulling off with the mid sizes nagano's & with the hanix 26b & c models the dipper cylinder mount on the top of the dipper was known for breaking off. " Not had much to do with Hitachi my self "

Comment

Working...
          X