Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benford TV800L twin drum roller - hydraulics dead

Hi,
    I recently bought a Benford TV800L twin drum roller that has been stood for a number of years. From the Lister-Petter engine number I'm guessing it's about 1995.
    All the history I have is that the previous owner said something went bang and it stopped.
    I have the engine (Lister LPA2) running fine and I've repaired all the broken wiring that I can find.

Symptoms:
    Hydraulic steering works fine.
    Brakes do not seem to be locked on - it tows without problem and the drums turn anyway.
    Oil overflows from the hydraulic tank filler neck when engine runs for a few minutes.
    It doesn't react to the forward-reverse hand control lever, nor does the vibrate mechanism work.
    All the relays work individually when tested on the bench - but not in the machine (suggesting that there's a safety-switch activated somewhere?).
    If I remotely activate relay-5 by connecting 12v the forward-reverse lever on top of the hydraulic pump jiggles violently.

I've searched the internet for a wiring diagram or service manual and although I can find ones for the later Terex-Benford machines the wiring colours and layout is different from mine.
    Has anyone got an electrical wiring diagram for a Benford TV800L or any suggestions for what I can try next?
    thanks.

Originally posted by Tinner View Post
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Benford TV800L twin drum roller that has been stood for a number of years. From the Lister-Petter engine number I'm guessing it's about 1995.
    All the history I have is that the previous owner said something went bang and it stopped.
    I have the engine (Lister LPA2) running fine and I've repaired all the broken wiring that I can find.

Symptoms:
    Hydraulic steering works fine.
    Brakes do not seem to be locked on - it tows without problem and the drums turn anyway.
    Oil overflows from the hydraulic tank filler neck when engine runs for a few minutes.
    It doesn't react to the forward-reverse hand control lever, nor does the vibrate mechanism work.
    All the relays work individually when tested on the bench - but not in the machine (suggesting that there's a safety-switch activated somewhere?).
    If I remotely activate relay-5 by connecting 12v the forward-reverse lever on top of the hydraulic pump jiggles violently.

I've searched the internet for a wiring diagram or service manual and although I can find ones for the later Terex-Benford machines the wiring colours and layout is different from mine.
    Has anyone got an electrical wiring diagram for a Benford TV800L or any suggestions for what I can try next?
    thanks.
    Welcome Tinner ...... I have next to no experience of these beasties, but surely it's a hydrostatic drive and therefore there are no 'brakes' as such ..... and similarly you should not be able to tow this / make the drums move without hydraulic power to them ??

My single drum ped. roller has a 'disconnect' lever to allow free wheel of the drum and 'dump' the hyd. connection to the hydrostatic unit.
    does it have hydraulic drive to the vibe on the unit or mechanical, as mine does (which is a PITA) ??

Sounds like it has a hell of a lot more leccies than mine ...... which has zero.

I assume this is a ride on?? .... any dead man switches on the seat ???
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hi v8druid, thanks for reply.
      Yes, it's a ride-on version and weighs about 1600kg, the seat has long since rusted away so I have shorted the seat-occupied sensor whilst I get the machine fixed.
      It is the forerunner of the Terex-Benford TV800 series of rollers and has a hydraulic drive motor in each drum plus a separate pump to drive an eccentric weight in each drum to give the vibration.
      I'm assuming that the brakes work the same as on the Terex-Benford - they default to lock up the drums unless the motor is running and a relay/solenoid pulls back the spring to release the brakes and connect the hydraulic drive[?]. On mine the brakes are either locked-off - or broken[?].
      I think that my problems centre around the electronic fail-safes but without the correct circuit diagram I'm having to trust that the previous owner hasn't played with it and rewired it incorrectly.
      I guess that one option may be to revert to absolute basics and rip off all the electronics and fit simple control valves to the hydraulic lines - but it would be expensive and a lot of hassle.
      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Tinner View Post
        Hi v8druid, thanks for reply.
        Yes, it's a ride-on version and weighs about 1600kg, the seat has long since rusted away so I have shorted the seat-occupied sensor whilst I get the machine fixed.
        It is the forerunner of the Terex-Benford TV800 series of rollers and has a hydraulic drive motor in each drum plus a separate pump to drive an eccentric weight in each drum to give the vibration.
        I'm assuming that the brakes work the same as on the Terex-Benford - they default to lock up the drums unless the motor is running and a relay/solenoid pulls back the spring to release the brakes and connect the hydraulic drive[?]. On mine the brakes are either locked-off - or broken[?].
        I think that my problems centre around the electronic fail-safes but without the correct circuit diagram I'm having to trust that the previous owner hasn't played with it and rewired it incorrectly.
        I guess that one option may be to revert to absolute basics and rip off all the electronics and fit simple control valves to the hydraulic lines - but it would be expensive and a lot of hassle.
        cheers
        Hmm ....... never seen one with brakes like that ......
        with my pedestrian roller, without disengaging the hydrostatic drive, it's as good as bolted to the planet ..... all you can do is drag it or pick it up, to move it about.

been looking for a hydraulically driven vibe unit drum or dead roller for a while ..... make a unit to go on me dipper .... be a lot easier than traipsing around behind what I have ..... and get it down a LOT harder
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

OP's Manual

Hello

First time I've posted on this site. I still work at the company who made these Rollers (been there 43 years) was Benford now Mecalac and I have a copy of the manual your after. I work in the spares side of the company so if you want a parts manual as well please let me know. If you have a serial number of the roller (or the engine) even better as I can give you the book relevant to the machine.

Unfortunately the book is too big to upload its 3.8kb. Give me your email and I'll send it that way.

Regards

Andy

Comment

That would be brilliant, thanks Andy.
            I've sent a pm to you with my email address

Comment

Workshop Manual

Hi. Is anyone able to share the Benford TV800 manual with me please?

Comment

I wouldn't mind a copy if anyone could send me one my roller has the belly ache

Comment

Working...
                X