Flushing / degeasing the cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing / degeasing the cooling system

Did some digging last weekend at 24C outdoor temp. The engine run for some 4 hours and I guess it exceeded the overheat switch trip temperature because it did not start after having sat for a while during the lunch break. It started after having cooled down for a while.

I think that a cooling system flush might be necessary as I have no clue when the fluid has been changed.

Any experiences / advice on coolant system flushing?

It should work ok at that ... assuming the oil cooler is clear and the rad is clear, and nothing is trapped in between, it might just be the sensor grounding too soon, .. they always gave trouble, disconnect it and try running it, .. other than that .. its back to possible trouble with the wee black box under the seat we talked about in one of your other posts
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      It should work ok at that ... assuming the oil cooler is clear and the rad is clear, and nothing is trapped in between, it might just be the sensor grounding too soon, .. they always gave trouble, disconnect it and try running it, .. other than that .. its back to possible trouble with the wee black box under the seat we talked about in one of your other posts
      Yes, it runs well at this ambient temp. It just might be so that the overheating switch kicks in due to a real reason. Will flush the engine and radiator by running with dishwasher powder mixed in to the coolant. After that will dismantle the radiator and clean it thoroughly. Will replace the water pump only in case flushing will not help. Thermostat (76C) will be checked at the same time by using a thermometer for the Xmas ham.

There is no thermometer in the engine and that makes troubleshooting a bit more difficult.

This all takes some time, but dont want to destroy the engine due to lack of maintenance.

Comment

Yes.

Flushed the system today. It was quite clean as the exiting fluid remained green. Aluminium block does not generate rust. Sprayed the rad and there was some dust. That might make the difference, but what the real cause for not starting after some digging is the temp cut-out switch. Took it off and the engine started easily. Will buy a new one as it will be needed in case the water pump fails.

The rectangle blingbling alarm light unit show little tiny red glow as an indication that the temp switch is disconnected. Another successfull troubleshooting session.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
          Yes.

Flushed the system today. It was quite clean as the exiting fluid remained green. Aluminium block does not generate rust. Sprayed the rad and there was some dust. That might make the difference, but what the real cause for not starting after some digging is the temp cut-out switch. Took it off and the engine started easily. Will buy a new one as it will be needed in case the water pump fails.

The rectangle blingbling alarm light unit show little tiny red glow as an indication that the temp switch is disconnected. Another successfull troubleshooting session.
          Correction: the temp cut out switch was not the one in question. It is the oil pressure switch. Noticed it when looking at it more carefully an got my fingers oily...

Comment

Will flush the engine and radiator by running with dishwasher powder mixed in to the coolant.
            well thats gonna react with most of your core and strip any lube from your pump internal alloys .. like core plugs... look out
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Well, the engine survived the dishwasher treatment. I ran it only for some 30minutes and the let the magic mix out, flushed the engine with water several times and filled it again with new green fluid.

I`m not all convinced that this made any difference other than created a looot of waste water that need to be brought to the problemwaste treatment..

another thing that I noticed is that the fuel warms up quite a lot, from 20C to around 40C after 1h of circling around the yard,

maybe the water pump is the next one on the endkess list of things to do.

Comment

Well, the engine survived the dishwasher treatment. I ran it only for some 30minutes and the let the magic mix out, flushed the engine with water several times and filled it again with new green fluid.

I`m not all convinced that this made any difference other than created a looot of waste water that need to be brought to the problemwaste treatment..

another thing that I noticed is that the fuel warms up quite a lot, from 20C to around 40C after 1h of circling around the yard,

maybe the water pump is the next one on the endkess list of things to do.
                Fuel constantly recirculates from the leak of system back to tank, so warm diesel enters via one of the three pipes to the top of the tank, quite normal

Comment

Yes, the only issue with the fuel warming up and cooling is that water is condensated in the tank, but that is a minor issue.

I guess the temperature in the engine is normal as it does not cut out due to overheating.

all I need to find is a new oil pressure switch. Have one in China.

Comment

Working...
                  X