Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excavator operating!!

Hi All,

Well, i went and bought a digger!! I got me a 2 year old Kubota U17 alpha. Only done 800 hours and seems really nice!!

A question..

When i am digging a trench, do i want the bucket to be coming along the bottom of the trench flat, or should the thing be at an angle, like say a chisel would be??

Do i want to be doing short strokes with the dipper more or less vertical, or are big long reaching strokes best??

Anyone got any tips on anything??

I can drive it fairly smoothly and i have learnt that the controls feel much more responsive at high revs than at tickover..

Thanks all!!

john..

Get some pics up fella .. How long is a piece of string as to operating tips, we are all different ... flat buckets in trenches require more control, have maximum penetration at the teeth and leave a nice flat base for follow on workers, so yes its my preferred method have a look at some of our member jibozaxis work on here http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...and-Plant-Hire
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by john87 View Post
      Hi All,

Well, i went and bought a digger!! I got me a 2 year old Kubota U17 alpha. Only done 800 hours and seems really nice!!

A question..

When i am digging a trench, do i want the bucket to be coming along the bottom of the trench flat, or should the thing be at an angle, like say a chisel would be??

Do i want to be doing short strokes with the dipper more or less vertical, or are big long reaching strokes best??

Anyone got any tips on anything??

I can drive it fairly smoothly and i have learnt that the controls feel much more responsive at high revs than at tickover..

Thanks all!!

john..
      long shallow pulls ..... that way if there's anything in the ground you have more chance of spotting it before you rip it out and will leave a nice shape to the trench..... couple of inches at a time, depth wise and long pull to fill the bucket .... edged bucket will give you best finish in decent digging ground.

and will allow you to find this sort of thing without ripping it out

gentle shallow scrapes, if uncertain
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Tips!!

Wow, thanks for that both!!

I have an 18" bucket with teeth, but i was thinking of unbolting them. Not sure exactly the advantage of the teeth, suppose it might make digging faster?? But with no teeth i could do nice flat bottomed trenches like in the pictures, well, at least i could try to!!

Have to say, them footings look amazing!!

john..

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Get some pics up fella .. How long is a piece of string as to operating tips, we are all different ... flat buckets in trenches require more control, have maximum penetration at the teeth and leave a nice flat base for follow on workers, so yes its my preferred method have a look at some of our member jibozaxis work on here http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...and-Plant-Hire
          Yes, i have taken a few photos!! i will try to post some!!

Only used the thing twice now, but starting to get the feel of it!! I can grade stuff out pretty well, slowly compared to you lot mind!! i am going to take it to the hospital where i work as they have a load of ground there where they will not mind me practicing digging footings!!!

john...

Comment

Originally posted by john87 View Post
            Wow, thanks for that both!!

I have an 18" bucket with teeth, but i was thinking of unbolting them. Not sure exactly the advantage of the teeth, suppose it might make digging faster?? But with no teeth i could do nice flat bottomed trenches like in the pictures, well, at least i could try to!!

Have to say, them footings look amazing!!

john..
            just an amateur this end John ...... with a strong desire to do things right and as good a job as possible .
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
              just an amateur this end John ...... with a strong desire to do things right and as good a job as possible .
              Tidy enough work if that was you on that Jake on the earlier pics mate .. unless you hoovered out the trench bottom before posting on here just for show ofcourse
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Tidy enough work if that was you on that Jake on the earlier pics mate .. unless you hoovered out the trench bottom before posting on here just for show ofcourse
                Cheers Boyo, all me own work Muz ...... was a bit stuffed for space too, especially when the f*****g skips weren't turning up

this bit was a right bar steward .... no where to stand half the time ... looked clean and tidy enough when I got to the bottom

footings for a mate's treble garage in a very confined spot

Comment

Working...
                X