Kubota KX018-4 Squeaky boom boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubota KX018-4 Squeaky boom boom

Was working away with this digger and no matter how much I greased it, the frikkin boom would not stop squeaking So a closer inspection required ...........

IMG_0230[1].jpg

So I'm looking at it ...... and realise theres no grease on the righ hand fork whereas the left one is fine ? how could this be ? ... one of the worlds finest mini excavator manufacturers has dropped the ball here, and I'm going to have to mod the pin with an extra greaser I thought ... as it only has one nipple on the pin, hidden on the left. Well I didnt think Kubota were that daft and they were not,

IMG_0231[1].jpg

Turns out there is a second grease gallery exit on the right, but it was blocked. When I pumped it out, out came the factory grease that kubota use, this stuff is quite thick and very tactile. Turns out, as the hole on the left is closer to the nipple, all the grease has been coming out of this one , and any pressure generated by the grease gun escapes here in preference to pumping out the thicker stuff on the right hand hole .. well problem easily solved and she now squeak free .. luckily it doesent have that many hours on it ... I wonder how many older machines will just run with that side dry, and wear the pin and bush faster on that side ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Kx018

I have a 2 year old 800 hour U17 and it is exactly the same. Not much wear mind you, but the left one is definitely a weeny bit slack.. Most of the grease goes to the right side it seems.. I got new a new pin and a pair of bushes coming on wednesday for it.. Not cheap, but i like my machine to be right..

john..

Comment

pretty crap design then Muz .... greaser needed both ends .... and probably cheaper to machine than deep boring the pin 3/4 of its length ..... but two operations in manufacture ...... cheap skates
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Bushes!!

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        pretty crap design then Muz .... greaser needed both ends .... and probably cheaper to machine than deep boring the pin 3/4 of its length ..... but two operations in manufacture ...... cheap skates
        Hi all,

Well, i have got the bushes and the pin in question sitting here in front of me. Not sure how to go about fitting them.. I was thinking of making like a hydraulic "G" clamp thing to press the old ones out and the new ones in. I know everyone else bashes them in with a hammer, but to my mind, hammering things just causes damage. How tight are the bushes?? Tap tap, tight, or bash bash bash type tight.

I changed a bush the other day in the ram that swivels the boom round. I did it with a press, but it took a good few tons to shift it. With a hammer you would have had to beat the crap out of it..

john..

Comment

Originally posted by john87 View Post
          Hi all,

Well, i have got the bushes and the pin in question sitting here in front of me. Not sure how to go about fitting them.. I was thinking of making like a hydraulic "G" clamp thing to press the old ones out and the new ones in. I know everyone else bashes them in with a hammer, but to my mind, hammering things just causes damage. How tight are the bushes?? Tap tap, tight, or bash bash bash type tight.

I changed a bush the other day in the ram that swivels the boom round. I did it with a press, but it took a good few tons to shift it. With a hammer you would have had to beat the crap out of it..

john..
          The easiest way is with a gas axe ..... can you get access to that ?
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

bushes

Originally posted by Muz View Post
            The easiest way is with a gas axe ..... can you get access to that ?
            Yes, i have access to just about everything you could want!! I could easily get them out by welding around the insides of the bush. How hard is it to get the new one in though?? I could easily make a drift in the lathe, but i do not like hammering things...

Not sure what to do..

john..

Comment

Originally posted by john87 View Post
              Yes, i have access to just about everything you could want!! I could easily get them out by welding around the insides of the bush. How hard is it to get the new one in though?? I could easily make a drift in the lathe, but i do not like hammering things...

Not sure what to do..

john..
              Just burn a line through the bush John .. you have to be careful but its not that hard because the bush has a tiny gap between it and the boss, the burner wont start on the boss unless you are too severe... or your pressure is too high. The old bush comes out a doddle ,.. then batter in the new one good style .. they should be hardened and you wont damage them

Comment

Working...
              X