Mini digger appraisal service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini digger appraisal service

Is there such a thing as a mini digger appraisal service? I need to buy one, have a budget and type of machine in mind, but with no ownership experience I would be a lamb to the slaughter with all the traders selling on ebay. Is there a firm or a recommended individual who could take a look at a machine for me and tell me if it is a good buy or not? I'm in the south east. For example - this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Takeuchi-...oAAOSwTitbpl1x

What is wrong with hire when you need one, you don't worry if it breaks, just ring and tell them.

I looked at the one in the link, looks ok, apart from the price, but, no pics inside cab, no close up of engine (under bonnet), no close up of tracks.

Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

You could go to a local firm, at least you should get some guarantee, and a face to talk to if you should need it.

Comment

Thanks. The problem with hire is that it requires a degree of planning ahead, plus the delivery charges etc. I'd rather just have my own machine on site, available for use as and when needed.

Comment

Yeah, I can see your point, my machine may not start up for a couple of weeks at a time, then only do a couple of hours or so, but it's the convenience factor, there when you want it no matter what for.

How did you go with heat on that pedal? I would think a good spanner on that nut will either shift or break it off, at least then you can get it out to sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by jtbjtb View Post
          Is there such a thing as a mini digger appraisal service? I need to buy one, have a budget and type of machine in mind, but with no ownership experience I would be a lamb to the slaughter with all the traders selling on ebay. Is there a firm or a recommended individual who could take a look at a machine for me and tell me if it is a good buy or not? I'm in the south east. For example - this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Takeuchi-...oAAOSwTitbpl1x

Ring Sutton park equipment , West Meon, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 1JS Ben Hampshire 07919 166870

Comment

Ive never used such a service, but I can tell you after near 30 years in this business you will never eliminate, find, or be able to accurately determine all of a machines defects. Some of the most expensive faults will not reveal themselves until it is too late, like final drive failure for example. Weeding out Ebay scammers however is a pastime If the examiner is good he will certainly eradicate or highlight most of your concerns however. I would certainly do it for you,.. if you were in Scotland .. Good luck and welcome to the forum
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by d4c24a View Post
              Ring Sutton park equipment , West Meon, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 1JS Ben Hampshire 07919 166870
              Thanks for that - useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Ive never used such a service, but I can tell you after near 30 years in this business you will never eliminate, find, or be able to accurately determine all of a machines defects. Some of the most expensive faults will not reveal themselves until it is too late, like final drive failure for example. Weeding out Ebay scammers however is a pastime If the examiner is good he will certainly eradicate or highlight most of your concerns however. I would certainly do it for you,.. if you were in Scotland .. Good luck and welcome to the forum
                Funny you should mention Scotland. This machine caught my eye, and although I've had contact from the seller, I'm not yet convinced that this isn't a scam:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362440597347

Comment

Funny you should mention Scotland. This machine caught my eye, and although I've had contact from the seller, I'm not yet convinced that this isn't a scam:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362440597347

Well its a bit far up for me that unless you were paying the mileage .. but on the basis the guy has not quoted a serial number and has only just joined ebay with such a high value item .. umm yeahh
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Well its a bit far up for me that unless you were paying the mileage .. but on the basis the guy has not quoted a serial number and has only just joined ebay with such a high value item .. umm yeahh
                    I think you're right - it looks dodgy. I've had a couple of messages from the seller , but despite detailed questions I can't get straight answers. To your point, yes, I'm obviously happy to pay for assistance with this, mileage/time etc, but until the seller can prove that the machine actually exists, there's no point anybody going anywhere.

Comment

I think you're right - it looks dodgy. I've had a couple of messages from the seller , but despite detailed questions I can't get straight answers. To your point, yes, I'm obviously happy to pay for assistance with this, mileage/time etc, but until the seller can prove that the machine actually exists, there's no point anybody going anywhere.
                      Theres been some shocking scammers on Ebay .. and to anyone reading this post on a public forum .. NEVER part wih cash until you have done some research .. connect with local people .. I know some dealers entire web sites that have been scammed ... plant theft is a major problem .. everyone should do thorough research before parting with hard earned .. go and see the kit .. ask a tonne of questions.... look for maintenance receipts etc or come back here for an opinion

Comment

Theres been some shocking scammers on Ebay .. and to anyone reading this post on a public forum .. NEVER part wih cash until you have done some research .. connect with local people .. I know some dealers entire web sites that have been scammed ... plant theft is a major problem .. everyone should do thorough research before parting with hard earned .. go and see the kit .. ask a tonne of questions.... look for maintenance receipts etc or come back here for an opinion
                        In fact it looks like that Volvo apparently in Dundee was a scam after all - that listing's been removed from ebay today.

Comment

there are thousands of the damned things on Ebay and a few other places too .... as Muz said, I too have seen entire websites copied and scammed.
                          Ebay don't give a shit .... no matter how many you report .. they're back, again and again.

when I was duck hunting and viewing / searching daily .... for months, I got pretty good at recognising scammers and scammed ad.s/gear.
                          even played a few to wind the ****ers up a bit and waste their time

A dealer I know found one of his own machines on there .... played them for ages, 'til he get no sense from them and then sent them a pic of the machine with him stood beside it .... ****ers
                          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                            there are thousands of the damned things on Ebay and a few other places too .... as Muz said, I too have seen entire websites copied and scammed.
                            Ebay don't give a shit .... no matter how many you report .. they're back, again and again.

when I was duck hunting and viewing / searching daily .... for months, I got pretty good at recognising scammers and scammed ad.s/gear.
                            even played a few to wind the ****ers up a bit and waste their time

A dealer I know found one of his own machines on there .... played them for ages, 'til he get no sense from them and then sent them a pic of the machine with him stood beside it .... ****ers
                            Yep. The current trend on ebay seems to be (1) cheap (2) brand new user id with zero feedback (3) weirdly the userids all seem to have a hyphen and a number in them (4) the machine is advertised as no vat, presumably to try and sucker in private punters who can't claim the vat back. I really want to buy a machine but there are so many traps for the unwary...

Comment

Yep. The current trend on ebay seems to be (1) cheap (2) brand new user id with zero feedback (3) weirdly the userids all seem to have a hyphen and a number in them (4) the machine is advertised as no vat, presumably to try and sucker in private punters who can't claim the vat back. I really want to buy a machine but there are so many traps for the unwary...
                              where are you and how long you been trawling ????

soon get to spot the genuine ones and there are quite a few on there, once spotted ..... if it's cheap it's a scam .... no such thing as a cheap mini .... ever , just the occasional good buy/tidy machine for the money .... but you gotsta pay the going rates
                              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
                              X