Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small farms disappearing

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by 245dlc View Post
    My father in law is a grain farmer he use to have pigs at one time with his brother but his brother who was a nut job I'm told 'cooked the books' and went bankrupt and fled. (Long long story) Luckily my father in law was a silent partner and he kept his operation going. He farms about two maybe two and a half sections worth of land which is considered very small here, but might have to sell some as one of his crooked uncles is suing him. However if he does sell some of his land after the lawsuit he'll never have to worry about money again as the land in that area is prime agricultural land. Just the sad thing is after almost 150 years of that farm being in the family the only thing you have to show for it is a lawsuit but if you sell you'll be somewhat rich.
    how big is "a section" Bert
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Speaking as a potential young entrant itís hard A) finding land B) finding land and C) Getting a break. Land owners are scared to rent out land as they are worried about the right to buy. Any land is swallowed up by big farms. The future isnít bright unless your BIG

Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    how big is "a section" Bert
    I believe its a mile by a mile but I could be wrong.

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    I believe its a mile by a mile but I could be wrong.
    Jeeeeeeeezus ..... almost 700 acres
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Jim View Post
    Speaking as a potential young entrant itís hard A) finding land B) finding land and C) Getting a break. Land owners are scared to rent out land as they are worried about the right to buy. Any land is swallowed up by big farms. The future isnít bright unless your BIG
    is this a Scottish thing Jim ..... don't think it exists south of the border
    surely it's possible to covenant a rental agreement ??

is this a Scottish thing Jim ..... don't think it exists south of the border
    surely it's possible to covenant a rental agreement ??

Yeah I think thats a bit of a red herring jim .. I run an owned croft in the west highlands, and there can be no claim on your land as long as you are using it properly, that includes renting it out.

This was legislation brought in Graham, to stop wealthy Arabs buying big estates in Scotland and then letting them go derelict and not maintaining them.

Theres a lot of mis information about it. I had advice from a so called legal 'expert' on matters relating to the crofting comission who are one of the biggest players in the legislation Jim is on about, and some of what he told me was complete tosh. In my dealings I have found the comission to be quite reasonable in fact - very dis jointed, but very helpful.

@Jim ... theres a massive push to get young people into crofting/agriculture .. trouble is few want to do it because its not an easy occupation ... rural location with no internet, and young johnny cant run his play station, and to hec with actually working more than 40 hrs a week , most just dont want to know ... but for those that are, theres some incentives on the go ... or is that the angle you are coming from ?, that a young lad such as yourself will get help, and the land owners are worried about that ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

cheers Muz
    only ability to claim ownership of a property, or slice of turf this side of the border, is if you maintain a piece of ground, unchallenged for 12 years, you can then register your name against a title for it.
    I know a few people who have done it, but proving it can be fraught, if challenged by a rightful owner, holding an existing title to it.
    I have in fact done it myself, but was an easier one, than simply laying claim to an area of ground, say, that one has maintained for 12 years.

Had a property with a 'garage' type structure contained within the curtilage of my property, landlocked, which had never actually been registered with all that surrounded it - an oversight by the original vendors - I used it and maintained it as if mine for in excess of 12 years unchallenged and then simply claimed title with the land reg., via my solicitor with a 'statement of truth' (formerly an affidavit) stating my usage, etc. ...... job done and had it included into my title deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Yeah I think thats a bit of a red herring jim .. I run an owned croft in the west highlands, and there can be no claim on your land as long as you are using it properly, that includes renting it out.

This was legislation brought in Graham, to stop wealthy Arabs buying big estates in Scotland and then letting them go derelict and not maintaining them.

Theres a lot of mis information about it. I had advice from a so called legal 'expert' on matters relating to the crofting comission who are one of the biggest players in the legislation Jim is on about, and some of what he told me was complete tosh. In my dealings I have found the comission to be quite reasonable in fact - very dis jointed, but very helpful.

@Jim ... theres a massive push to get young people into crofting/agriculture .. trouble is few want to do it because its not an easy occupation ... rural location with no internet, and young johnny cant run his play station, and to hec with actually working more than 40 hrs a week , most just dont want to know ... but for those that are, theres some incentives on the go ... or is that the angle you are coming from ?, that a young lad such as yourself will get help, and the land owners are worried about that ?

there was a young entrant scheme but its either stopped or on hold just now. It was good but i missed it. So hope to get involved next time round. I did here of a youn entrant who had 6 acres and some sheep who got a £50,000 payment and is turning an old hotel into flats......
    i jut want some field sand some coes to get a heard of my own started then one day take over the family farm.

Jeeeeeeeezus ..... almost 700 acres
    You'll have to come visit one day we've got 'huge tracts of land' here. Lol

I know one day when I have a few pesos I'll make my way there and maybe one winter I'll go to Oz and maybe dodge the worst part of winter here.

You'll have to come visit one day we've got 'huge tracts of land' here. Lol

I know one day when I have a few pesos I'll make my way there and maybe one winter I'll go to Oz and maybe dodge the worst part of winter here.
    I hear Scotland it good to visit all year round!