Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Kubota 8 tonne dipper bush replacement

  1. #1
    Nothin' but trouble Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,227

    Kubota 8 tonne dipper bush replacement

    Hey guys .. time for one of my Kubota KX 080 diggers to get some TLC. She been a good machine, got about 5000 hours on her from new , been a mix of op and self drive work. I give her the easy shifts ofcourse but she still earns the cash. They say every days a skool day .. when I specced the gear for this job I went to my local machine shop first for some hard bar to make the pins. They quoted me for some hard En spec, and for a 340x60 pin wanted 80 or so just for the cut bar ... bit dear but not unreasonable I thought given the quality of metal it needed to be... phoned my boys at www.molsonyoung.co.uk my dealers for 30 years or so and they said they could do a genuine Kubota pin for 40 beer vouchers .. thats a hardened, capped , machined pin sorted .. 4 ordered .....good job Ordered the bushes from www.southernplantspares.com/

    IMG_0268[1].jpg

    I wasnt prepared to spend the 90 per bush from Kubota when Southern only wanted 25 for a case hardened bush for the same machine. Well .. it was only when I started to burn out the old bushes I realised why they cost 90

    IMG_0273[1].jpg

    First you need to remove the knackered dust seal with the removal tool .. its the kinda tool lies in yer box for years and wonder why you got it.. but here it is in its natural environment.. and here is where the learning kicks in about the bushes in the machine

    IMG_0266[1].jpgIMG_0267[1].jpg

    That there took me 20 minutes with my oxy acetylene torch at full heat .. if it was hardened steel, like every other bush Ive burned, I would have made that cut in 20 seconds

    TBC
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  2. #2
    Nothin' but trouble Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,227
    I dont know what alloy the bushes were made of, but had a yellow appearance on heavily worn areas, so I'm guessing some bronze / manganese type or chrome, the burner gave off reds and greens periodically if thats any clue, but feck me, the nozzle of the burner couldn't get the metal hot enough to melt it hardly .......... oxy propane burns around 2200 deg C, oxy acetylene is much hotter at 3500 deg C and it struggled Only concentrated heat right on the tips of the blue flame from the main nozzle would do it after prolonged heat, if you opened the oxygen cutting stream, it cooled the melt pool fast, so you had to get the bush really hot and just blip the cutting stream to blow the melt pool away, it would not cut.

    Another trick I learned was, on a bush thats worn, to cut it out with a torch, I always normally go for the thickest part, so I wouldnt damage the boss it was sat it, no so here .. the boss is big enough, and the bush was hard enough that you had to go for the thinnest part of the bush, and start your burn there...

    One thing I did notice, was that once you had burned them, they were far easier to knock out than a conventional steel one by a huge margin they didnt bond to the boss the same at all.

    IMG_0272[1].jpgIMG_0269[1].jpg

    So that means turning the bucket link upside down to make it easier to get the narrowest part of the bush
    IMG_0271[1].jpg

    Another top tip........ dont muck about when it comes to knocking in your new bushes ... use the fact that the boss you've just worked with will be hot and slightly expanded so will be easier to batter in the new bush, but first check for any burrs round the edge of the boss, as it will likely have worn a small lip around the edge. I use a small die grinder for that

    IMG_0274[1].jpg

    Then its a case of re fitting with new pins, using shims to take out any other lateral slack

    IMG_0275[1].jpg

    Jobs a good 'un

    IMG_0276[1].jpg
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  3. #3
    Ganger Wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Under The Southern Cross
    Posts
    623
    Good pictures Muz thanks for posting them ,I have to do a bit of that on my machine soon .
    Just wondering if you have tried a plasma cutter to cut the groves ,but I guess it would only work on the larger bushes that allow access for the cutting torch .

  4. #4
    Building Site Manager 245dlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    St. Pierre Jolys, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    1,072
    It's a lot nicer when you can do the work yourself. My boss finally tightened up the Hitachi ZX160LC I've been running the last few years I had been bugging him for quite a while it was getting too loose and the clientele was certainly noticing. So finally to make a long story short he took it in to the dealer and had them do it and spent around $12-13,000CAD. I had been bugging him that we should save some costs and do it ourselves. Oh well it actually be nice to run when I get in it on Friday....

  5. #5
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Good pictures Muz thanks for posting them ,I have to do a bit of that on my machine soon .
    Just wondering if you have tried a plasma cutter to cut the groves ,but I guess it would only work on the larger bushes that allow access for the cutting torch .
    Plasma will almost certainly blow the boss as well ... it's not so bothered by an air gap like the oxy is
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  6. #6
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by 245dlc View Post
    It's a lot nicer when you can do the work yourself. My boss finally tightened up the Hitachi ZX160LC I've been running the last few years I had been bugging him for quite a while it was getting too loose and the clientele was certainly noticing. So finally to make a long story short he took it in to the dealer and had them do it and spent around $12-13,000CAD. I had been bugging him that we should save some costs and do it ourselves. Oh well it actually be nice to run when I get in it on Friday....
    Bloody hell Bert ..... wha's he having done to it
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  7. #7
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    I dont know what alloy the bushes were made of, but had a yellow appearance on heavily worn areas, so I'm guessing some bronze / manganese type or chrome, the burner gave off reds and greens periodically if thats any clue, but feck me, the nozzle of the burner couldn't get the metal hot enough to melt it hardly .......... oxy propane burns around 2200 deg C, oxy acetylene is much hotter at 3500 deg C and it struggled Only concentrated heat right on the tips of the blue flame from the main nozzle would do it after prolonged heat, if you opened the oxygen cutting stream, it cooled the melt pool fast, so you had to get the bush really hot and just blip the cutting stream to blow the melt pool away, it would not cut.

    Another trick I learned was, on a bush thats worn, to cut it out with a torch, I always normally go for the thickest part, so I wouldnt damage the boss it was sat it, no so here .. the boss is big enough, and the bush was hard enough that you had to go for the thinnest part of the bush, and start your burn there...

    One thing I did notice, was that once you had burned them, they were far easier to knock out than a conventional steel one by a huge margin they didnt bond to the boss the same at all.
    sounds like there's bronze in there somewhere Muz, poss silicon bronze
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  8. #8
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    .. when I specced the gear for this job I went to my local machine shop first for some hard bar to make the pins. They quoted me for some hard En spec, and for a 340x60 pin wanted 80 or so just for the cut bar ... bit dear but not unreasonable I thought given the quality of metal it needed to be...
    Robbin' b'stards ..... a 3m random bar of EN10 x 70mm is about 80 quid plus the Vodka & Tonic
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  9. #9
    Building Site Manager 245dlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    St. Pierre Jolys, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    Bloody hell Bert ..... wha's he having done to it
    He used shitty grease for a long time and that brush cutter isn't very kind to it. This past year we've been using something called 'Arctic Grease' from Boss Lubricants the Snake Oil Salesman claimed you can use it in the summer too. I have serious doubts and I guess my doubts were founded. Also digging in the frost isn't kind to a machine in any way. It's getting pretty frustrating working where I am and I'm thinking about a serious change this year stay tuned.

  10. #10
    Ganger Wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Under The Southern Cross
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    Plasma will almost certainly blow the boss as well ... it's not so bothered by an air gap like the oxy is
    You could well be right and having never tried it I cant comment ,supposed to be able to gouge with em though .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kubota U25-3a dipper/bucket dimensions
    By fairmer in forum Everything Excavators
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-08-2015, 02:05 PM
  2. 1.0 tonne micro or 1.5 tonne mini?
    By philD in forum Everything Excavators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-08-2015, 08:37 PM
  3. Out Bush Working
    By ianoz in forum Show us your job today ?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-09-2013, 05:07 PM
  4. Bush removal
    By 801_user in forum Everything Excavators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-09-2013, 07:50 PM
  5. Steel tracks for 2.5 tonne Kubota
    By Garry in forum Plant or parts for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •