Track Motor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Motor Oil

In the service manual for my JCB 801.4 the lubricant is not listed for a track motor but is listed for a track gearbox, are they the same thing? I want to change the oil in mine and for the track gearbox it says use sae30 engine oil.

also my machine is not tracking straight and goes off to the right anything I can do or is it something I have to live with?

Gearbox and final drive should be the same thing i would think but strange terminology used there , I would have thought it would be 80w 90 gear oil or some other extreme pressure gear oil in the final drive for the planetary gears ,they do work hard .
    I don't think there is any adjustment for tracking ,probably need to check your track adjustments and track lengths .
    Anyway someone with more knowledge and smarter will be along to sort you out .

I just checked and this is the recommendation for here ,different climate though .

Castrol Website

Final Drives - Track Gearboxes
    Service Refill Capacity: 1.6 Litres each
    CASTROL AXLE GO-J 90
    Specially formulated extreme pressure gear oil for Mack transmissions, differentials and transfer cases. Also suitable for many truck, commercial and earthmoving applications where an SAE 85W/90, or 90, API GL5 lubricant is specified.

Comment

Dunno about that oil capacity though ,sounds like a lot for a mini digger
      EDIT
      Another source says .3ltr of JCB engine oil SAE 30 ,so maybe you were right .
      I didn't think they would hold 1.6ltrs

Comment

Oil

ok
        i gave my machines serial number to a JCB dealer and he is sure I should use JCB’S own sae30 engine oil in the final drive / track motors, so that is my plan for tomorrow 🤞🏻

Nest issue not tracking staight 🧐 and slew ring teeth greasing

‘Thanks Guys

Comment

Some older machines did use an actual gearbox from the hydraulic motor down to the sprocket drive pinion, even then I'd have thought 80/90 would be ok. Most modern machines use an epicyclic reduction box on the form of a hub, which is also a power multiplier , where 80/90 is essential due to the surface loadings of the gears. I have my doubts about your dealers advice to be honest although every day is a school day ! . can you show us a pic of the drive sprocket ? inside and out ?
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
          X