Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the law on cops stopping people whilst off duty ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the law on cops stopping people whilst off duty ?

Mate of mine got pulled for a minor traffic offence by an off duty cop without all his uniform in his own car ... seems a bit over zealous to me ? .. can he do that ?

Just gave him a ticking off and went on his way

It would appear so........but at least he wasn't given points a fine or summons........
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Mate of mine got pulled for a minor traffic offence by an off duty cop without all his uniform in his own car ... seems a bit over zealous to me ? .. can he do that ?

Just gave him a ticking off and went on his way
      Not sure if he can .. if he's not in uniform without his hat .. also .. if its a private car he could have been stopping your mate quite unsafely .. that could be a whole issue in its self !!
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I almost became an Illinois State Trooper once (Yep, Smokey the Bear). During our many interviews and meetings, we were told that once you became a peace officer, you were expected to always carry your sidearm, even if off-duty because regardless, you are a sworn police officer 24/7. Now, as a rule (here in the states), you are allowed to drive on even if it is an honest-to-God cop so long as it is an unrecognizable police car until you either get pulled over by a marked police vehicle or you get to a police station. There are too many wanna-bes out there who have been known to rob, rape or assault people who pull over thinking they are the real police.

Comment

I think here in Canada an off-duty Cop is allowed to act provided that there is good reason to. Otherwise he/she has to call it in. Royal Canadian Mounted Police however I think may have a little more authority being federal. However Peace Officers in Canada do not carry sidearms (thank god cause most of them are idiots) with the exception of Conservation officers at least in Manitoba due to all the problems from Poachers.

Comment

Working...
          X