X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makes you wonder.....................

Steel beam lunch break workers in trouble

Grant Prior | Fri 14th October | 16:48

The steel erector who took a photo of his workmates eating lunch on a beam on top of London’s Heron Tower is worried he has landed his colleagues in trouble.
    Mick Crompton’s photo was a modern version of the iconic “Lunch Atop a Skyscraper” taken at New York’s Rockerfeller centre in 1932.
    Crompton shot his version last January at the 755ft tower and has released it now hoping to sell it as a poster.
    The 61-year-old was working for Severfield Reeve at the time and fears the publicity could now backfire on his workmates.
    He told the Southampton Daily Echo: “It was always my intention to replicate the original once we got high enough.
    “I’ve been a steel erector for 40 years, since I was 21, and I’ve had it on my bedroom wall for ages.
    “We thought at the time we’ll wait until we get above the Gherkin and then take it, but it’s sort of slightly backfired.”
    Crompton has now left Severfield and is currently working on the new Oasis Academy Lord’s Hill in Southampton.
    He said: “I don’t work for them anymore, and don’t suppose I ever will again now.
    “Six of them do still work for the company, but they’ve got in trouble over it.
    “I honestly don’t understand what the grief is about.
    “I showed it to the boss at the time and he said it was a brilliant photo, but it doesn’t look like anyone is clipped on.
    “They are all clipped to the steelwork though, they’re not stupid – it was minus ten and they’ve got their coats on over the harnesses and lanyards.
    “You can see in the bottom corner of the picture the handrail of the floor below. If they were to fall or drop anything, they would have gone 12ft on to the floor below.”
    The Daily Echo said no one from Severfield-Reeve replied for a comment.
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Stock , It stays as thumbnail size .

Comment

Nope, it doesn't make me wonder. It makes me mad. Safety rules are drafted for a reason and most of us understand them and realize the need to operate safe. In this instance, these men are obviously doing so. Thanks to some who have the power to disrupt, they also don't have a sense of appreciation for documenting the efforts of the common man. So what the fellow took the shot that as staged exposed the workers to a slight risk, but one that is diminished substantially from their day to day workings. I am sure the image taken in the '30s was staged as well, with a mere short drop to the deck below.

Comment

Working...
      X