Plumbing systems - Plastics ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing systems - Plastics ?

Given the current trend these days, I recently was involved in re doing a bathroom, where the plastic speed fit system was used , replacing the old copper one.

Call me a cynic, but wont this stuff get brittle and fail over time, I mean how can it take the heat ranges that copper ever did ?

Re: Plumbing systems - Plastics ?

I quite agree .. one system I came across recently did say it had a 40 year guarantee .. so a while to beat copper then :(
    Courage is rightly considered the foremost of the virtues, for upon it, all others depend.
    Winston Churchill

Comment

The plastic needs more supports on a horizontal run to prevent sag, particularly on the hot water side. Here in the states, several years ago, they recalled a lot of plastic water lines as they were prone to leakage. I prefer copper with soldered joints, although the well in the country is schedule 40 PVC with solvent weld joints. Mind you, that is only on the cold water inlet. Is your line hidden within a wall or mounted on the surface?

Comment

Plastic deforms under it's own weight (filled with water) so it needs proper design to eliminate areas where air locks can form in sagging bits, as previously mentioned, it needs proper support. If the pipe is only carrying water up to 60degrees Celcius it should, theoretically, outlast copper. There are different grades available- John Guest pipe states the operating conditions clearly on its literature. Grey JG is not as resistant to heat as white JG, as a rule of thumb. I used JG pipe and fittings for a central heating system I installed 10 years ago. No problems to date. Maximum flow temperature is 60C. It is not advisable to mix different manfacturers fittings.
        J

Comment

you can also go to a plumbing training schools so that they will tell you what you gonna do in that problem. When i was having that problem too. I go to the plumbing schools.

Comment

Working...
          X