Main casting of my JCB 8018 Broken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main casting of my JCB 8018 Broken!

Well yesterday the side shift ram of my JCB 8018 broke off at the Digger end. The actual main casting broke. I had to get it welded back together at the blacksmiths. I called JCB and told them what happened and they have never heard of that happening before. They are going to investigate it and submit a warrenty claim. I told them its my main source of income and as its financed if it breaks again i shall be screwd and as it stands i have lost all confidence in the machine. Here is the pics i took yesterday. Have any of you had this problem?

I am hoping i get a positive repsonse from JCB!

I should also add that my diigger although a 2005 model has only covered 1375 hours. Which is hardly alot of work really is it??

Comment

Well Ive said time and time again Jim ... I have an intense dislike for anything yellow, because of piss poor engineering like that :ohmy1:

Thanks for posting though, posts like these should help others consider their choice of machine very carefully before they spend their hard earned.

I suspect it will be difficult to ever get strength back into that weld, I'm surprised it looks as though its only supported on one side I hope JCB look after you properly, I'd be mad if a company their size didnt

Was the blacksmith able to improve on the design any to make it stronger so it doesnt happen again ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Well Ive said time and time again Jim ... I have an intense dislike for anything yellow, because of piss poor engineering like that :ohmy1:

Thanks for posting though, posts like these should help others consider their choice of machine very carefully before they spend their hard earned.

I suspect it will be difficult to ever get strength back into that weld, I'm surprised it looks as though its only supported on one side I hope JCB look after you properly, I'd be mad if a company their size didnt

Was the blacksmith able to improve on the design any to make it stronger so it doesnt happen again ?
        Yeah the Blacksmith said it probably wont ba as strong. Its only held on a the bottom side to the machine. It was welded back together to get me back to the job but there does not appear to be anywhere to strenthen the support. I have not heard anymore word today from Scot Jcb so I'll be calling them on monday morning to see what the story is.

Comment

If welded properly it can be stronger than the original, but Jim you will be told that it the way you drive it............................
          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
            but Jim you will be told that it the way you drive it............................
            No doubt .... I hate that, when the manufacturer always blames the operator, I mean its not as if Jim wants to destroy his own machine and liveliehood is it ? but it doesnt stop them trying to blame evry one but them selves

But ..... this line is a classic though

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
            I called JCB and told them what happened and they have never heard of that happening before.
            If I had a pound , for every time a dealer said this to me when I went to them with a problem with one of their machines,..... I would be a very, very, very rich man
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
              If welded properly it can be stronger than the original, but Jim you will be told that it the way you drive it............................
              Yeah I know but at the same time there is the doubt in your mind that it will snap again!

Comment

I feel for you mate .... haem ... you just dont know where to go next eh ?

Comment

Was it a clean break Jim ,or could you see ,where it had old cracked area ? .I had the main boom lift ram break at the piston . Still Scratching my head about that one on the 8080 .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                    Was it a clean break Jim ,or could you see ,where it had old cracked area ? .I had the main boom lift ram break at the piston . Still Scratching my head about that one on the 8080 .
                    Was that where the boss end joins onto the chromed ram ?
                    I Pull for a living

Comment

No Mike , The oppisite end.

Comment

That's a bugger Jim I've been skeptical of JCB since I ran one of they're loader/backhoes in 2001. I have seen many people complain about castings cracking or breaking completely and I'm still kinda boggled why manufacturers keeping using them in high stress component's and areas. Recently Case came with a new backhoe loader series here the 'N' series and this time went with a welded boom as opposed to cast iron or ductile iron. I hope JCB gives you a replacement on some kind of warranty deal or recall, maybe it's time to start looking at some other manufacturers while you can still get a pound or two for the JCB.

Comment

No Mike , The oppisite end.
                          Wild ..... so the whole case cylinder seperated from the boss on the base ?
                          I Pull for a living

Comment

It loooked like a clean break. I wasnt even digging when it actually snapped i was tracking over the road!:bored:

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                              Wild ..... so the whole case cylinder seperated from the boss on the base ?
                              The cylinder/ram is fine. It was the cast lug that holds the pin that has the ram attached to it that broke. Its the main chassis of the digger that has failed!

Comment

Working...
                              X