Need help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help guys

I've stripped down the dipper cylinder to replace seals as per your advice, when I went to take the dowl out to undo the end screw found that someone had already had a go at try to drill it out and just cannot get it out to save me. Anyway I can get this thing out? or do I just put it back together and live with the weepy cylinder?

Its actually a grub screw ... they are /were usually hex headed and are hardened, so drilling them out isnt easy, which probably explaines the last failed effort .. Dont re assemble it, take it to a local machine shop who will remove it no problem.

On the other hand .. they arent torqued too highly, you could cross punch it, and heat it (if you have access to that) and it will move fairly easily after that .. because you can get a lot of local heat right on the screw
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yep Rob follow Muz's advice. worse case scenario have them cut off the eye this will allow the Gland ferrule to be removed replace the seals and then re assemble it getting them to reattach the eye.......................

Drawing for reference only
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

All bow to the knowledgable ones, thank you.

Cutting off the end seems a bit drastic, but then again nothing you guys don't do on a daily basis I would gather?

So thats actually screwed in? there doesn't appear to be a hex head on there, so am wondering what has been put in there.

Comment

Hmm .. so theres no visible threading inside the hole then ? .. If it is a grub screw, you would expect to see some threading where it entered the hole ?.... from the pic it looks like its been drilled, because you can see some burring to the right of the hole in line with the mashed up screw head. Possibly someone started with a drill big enough to remove any threading aswell, then used a smaller one realising it wasnt such an easy job, then gave up, I'm fairly certain thats a threaded screw, which will have a pointed tip where it locates onto the ram rod. Why would the manufacturer just punch something like that ? knowing the seals would need to be replaced at some point ?

Bear in mind , to remove it , theres about 3/8ths of metal still to get through perhaps more, if its to be drilled, and even if you do, it will have to be re-tapped so a new screw can be fitted, if the old one wont unscrew out. Can you see if there are two different colours of metal in the hole ? the screw in the centre should appear a little darker in colour.

Have you tried to unscrew it ? .. hanging off the end of a 3 foot stilson wrench to crack it off would not be unusual
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

The pic doesn't show but there are saw marks across the face of the pin, you can see because the drill has went off centre so would appear to be a pin and definately no threads. I did think about hanging off a large stilson to shear it, but was worried that it may even twist the ram, is there any danger of that?

I've cut a long story short by doing as you guys say and taken it to a mchine shop to see if they can get it out for me today.

thanks Muz.

Comment

We dismantle rams and some just have a harden dowel through the block and into the rod and if you try to turn the block without removing the dowel first it will just pick up the thread and strip the rod

Paul.
              If I have to explain you wouldn't understand

Comment

Originally posted by mogman View Post
                We dismantle rams and some just have a harden dowel through the block and into the rod and if you try to turn the block without removing the dowel first it will just pick up the thread and strip the rod

Paul.
                You think that's what this one looks like mog ? Its hard to believe they would do that ? But yes I agree about not unscrewing it, if it is, I should have been clearer about that, I wondered if rob could shift it... but he shouldn't persist if its not going to unscrew properly anyhoo the machine shop have it now.....but please let us know home you got on rob .. an update for all these problems is very helpful for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  You think that's what this one looks like mog ? Its hard to believe they would do that ? But yes I agree about not unscrewing it, if it is, I should have been clearer about that, I wondered if rob could shift it... but he shouldn't persist if its not going to unscrew properly anyhoo the machine shop have it now.....but please let us know home you got on rob .. an update for all these problems is very helpful for us all
                  We have first hand experience of people coming to us with rams they have dismantled and then tried to unscrew the block without taking the dowel out (JCB rams do it a lot) the last one (on a 07 3 CX bucket ram) to save the expensive rod had to cut the block of using a slitting disc on a grinder then machine a new block to suit the standard seals and thread

normally the dowel will fall out when the wear sleeves have been removed but when tampered with

would like to know if the engineering firm can remove it and how

Mog
                  If I have to explain you wouldn't understand

Comment

Originally posted by mogman View Post
                    normally the dowel will fall out when the wear sleeves have been removed but when tampered with would like to know if the engineering firm can remove it and how
                    well well ... I've had my doubts with their kit since whenever, but that really plumbs new depths of bad engineering ...

Maybe they will do as stock rightly suggested

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      well well ... I've had my doubts with their kit since whenever, but that really plumbs new depths of bad engineering ...

Maybe they will do as stock rightly suggested

Well, it wasn't screwed but just a hardened pin tapped in and jammed, jesus. The guys from the machine shop just drilled it out re threaded it and put a new grub screw in for me at a cost of £0 I know free? they felt sorry for me because I had a go at servicing it myself and made a great job of polishing down the burs on the shaft.

There are some diamond, good folk around, including here.

All back together now and no dipping of the bucket, however after a good weekends digging noticed a leak underneath, . I noticed oil on the underside of what I can only describe as what looks like a pump, will try and get a good photo again to show you.

Comment

Well thats a result Rob ..... but being a JCB, its now onto the next challenge .. stick it up on a new thread and we'll have a look

Comment

These are the challenges put there by the designers to break our melt.....................
                          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

How did you go with the oil leak Rob ?
                            As a JCB owner , I found it easier to just buy oil in bulk .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                              How did you go with the oil leak Rob ?
                              As a JCB owner , I found it easier to just buy oil in bulk .
                              Any advance on this one Rob ?

Comment

Working...
                              X