Had a bad day!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a bad day!!!

Well Monday was one of those days where you wish you had just stayed in bed!! I was burning heather well I wasn't I was hired in with the swipe cutting heather then the game keepers burned the inbetween what I swiped.

Here is some pictures of the work going well!

This is the view I had when I was trying to stop a fire that was running away up the hill! I decided to stop Incase the tractor was not going to get enought air and die on the hill!!

This is how the day ended well almost I got out in the end after being winched! The tractor also decided to die whilst stuck as the shut off solenoid was playing up!! This is after I lost a chain flail and Shepard the PTO shaft in half!!!

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
    Well Monday was one of those days where you wish you had just stayed in bed!! I was burning heather well I wasn't I was hired in with the swipe cutting heather then the game keepers burned the inbetween what I swiped.

Here is some pictures of the work going well!

So were you called in to cut fire breaks Jim ? is that what you mean ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yeah I was cutting fire breaks! You get about a half hour between me cutting it and the fire being able to go over the break,

Comment

Proper backburning takes quite a crew and some good equipment to be done properly. A lot of farmers around here burn crop residue largely leftover from harvesting Canola as they claim it's too expensive to plow under (pure bullshit according to my father in law as it's all compost) and frequently the fire gets out of control and we have to come to the rescue. And we don't mind the odd one but when it's dry it's just too dangerous. Glad you didn't get hurt or burn up your new toy, maybe you'll have to put a water tank and a pump on it and carry a few fire resistant brooms like what we often use to put out grass fires. Oh and gas powered leaf blowers like the back pack Stihl made ones work good to blow the flames back on themselves, just make sure to work from the black. What kind of mower do you have on your tractor Muz?

Comment

Did you mean Muz or did you mean me? I am unsure of what type of mower/topper it is. It's ex forestry commission as far as I am led to believe. It's a good machine? Does anyone know the best way to have the chains on it so if one is lost it can be easily replaced on the hill?

Comment

Did you mean Muz or did you mean me? I am unsure of what type of mower/topper it is. It's ex forestry commission as far as I am led to believe. It's a good machine? Does anyone know the best way to have the chains on it so if one is lost it can be easily replaced on the hill?
            I assume he meant you Jim ? ...

Do you mean chains as in flails Jim ?

Lovely bit of the country up there BTW
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yeah Muz chain flails. At the minute there are metal plates that bold on to the disc under the machines gearbox with the chain welded on to them but we have been trying to make 2 plates that we have one top and one bottom and bolt the chain inbetween so we can simply bolt new chains in as they are lost on the hill. Does anyone know of a better way? I will try get picture up soon.

Comment

Lol, Sorry meant Jim. That's not a big rotary mower?

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
                  Lol, Sorry meant Jim. That's not a big rotary mower?
                  its not a mower it's for whacking weeds! It is rotary but in stead of blades it's got chains so it can hit a stone or something and not break!

oh and it's only about a meter and a half wide!

Comment

Here is one of the ways the flails are attached? As you can see this requires welding which is not practical on the hill as its nearly an hour just to the nearest road!

Comment

Any chance of a picture Jim??
                      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Here is one of the ways the flails are attached? As you can see this requires welding which is not practical on the hill as its nearly an hour just to the nearest road!

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                          Any chance of a picture Jim??
                          I forgot to add the link thing!!

Comment

Well get some muck spreader chain, it doesn't stretch. either get some 10mm plate cut out for the chain link and drill a bolt hole. then use a low hydrogen rod and weld your chain to the plate o both sides. Watch the weight don't want to up set the balance.................
                            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Jim , I take it chain is used instead of blades to give less damage to driveline if a rock is hit .
                              I aggree with Stock ,make up some spares that can be unbolted and changed out .

Comment

Working...
                              X