Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3CX Starter motor

Hi guys

bit of help required if you can, our 3CX at work is really problematic at starting, we did the usual trying to jump start on this freezing morning and as usual wouldn't go. The starter is very lazy and have fitted a new battery, but we noticed this morning whilst turning it over the connector plate at the solenoid and starter motor was glowing red?

any advice?

cheers

Rob

Possibly the Bushes are worn out and it is drawing too much power ..New bushes in our 4CX made the world of difference to the speed it wound over at ..

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
      Possibly the Bushes are worn out and it is drawing too much power ..New bushes in our 4CX made the world of difference to the speed it wound over at ..

Thanks ianoz

Bushes or brushes? are they easy to fit?
      Last edited by Rob-b; 14-01-2013, 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just noticed this, a small wire loose, anyone got any thoughts as to what it is or where it goes, i've looked for a spade it has come out of or connection to no avail.

Comment

Rob , ,possibly it had a round ring one on it ,and went on the main power terminal .Undo the nut and see if there is a broken one on it .Disconnect the battery first .
          About the only place i can think of it would have came off .

Comment

I don't know about over there ,But here in OZ most Autoelectricians , Don't /won't /can't fix stuff like this .Last Starter motor I had stuff up . Was told $450 for the parts ,Plus labour .Parts need to come from overseas .14 days wait . Or $750 for new starter motor ,And be there next morning .

Comment

Hard to tell, but if Ian isnt correct ... could there have been another spade fitting next to the one still attached which has broken off ? .. that would be unusual though as most starters just use/need 2 wires, to work, the pull/hold wire, and the main battery power, although I have seen some connectors piggy backed like Ian says, not neccessarily for any job on the starter, but to energise some other circuit back the way for some reason, so if they come off, they wont affect the starters operation, but knock something else out, does the machine have heater plugs ? have they failed, which is why its always sluggish ?

Either way you need to get all those terminals removed and cleaned. The starter draws a large current, and relies of good connections to get it. You should clean what you can with some spirit, and rub them clean with emery cloth, trace the main power back and remove, clean, and reassemble all connections back to the battery, also making sure the battery has a good earth on the one or more connections it will use onto the chassis. Also .. batteries dont last forever, as it gets colder they become less efficient, and I find 5-6 years, is good enough in our climate with regular use. Less regular use works both ways .. it makes some last longer and others less so .. depends on the manufacturer
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Find an auto electrician and price a factory recon unit,
                jcbstmr.jpg
                Where the contact plate is heating means the motor is drawing a huge load, might suggest a duff armature.If that is the case it will be cheaper to put in a new /factory recon unit.
                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

wire

the black lettering /numbers are visible on the wire , this should help you identify what the wire is for via the service manual

these people are a good seller of jcb parts
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-PARTS-...item3a744c77f5

Comment

Thanks everyone

Muz, it's a new battery and I checked the terminals for broken spades or eyelets as Ian suggested but can't find anything, it's a flippin mystery.

I have a service manual d4c24a, so will check that out tomorrow, thanks for the ebay link.

Thanks Stock, I am thinking this could be a duff starter motor.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X