Tractor backhoes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor backhoes!

Recently a friend of mine bought himself a Kubota tractor fitted with a loader and a removable backhoe attachment that can be replaced with a 3 point hitch and has a hydrostatic pto on it. He owns a fair chunk of land (40 acres) that's partly forested and partly cultivated. The original owner of the house was a small general contractor that didn't get finished with his 'dream house' which was no problem as my friend's wife is the daughter of a carpenter so she finished the detail work where the owner had left off. My friend now wants to landscape the yard and make a proper driveway and parking area and possibly a pond. So recently after having talked about it for a couple years he bought himself a barely used 2009 Kubota L2800 with 250 hours on the meter, he also ordered a box scraper that hasn't arrived yet and is getting a mower from his dad's farm to mow his trails. He's also talking about getting a tiller for gardening and other work. He uses his bush land to harvest firewood to heat his house and garage for winter and normally hauled it out with his quad and a wagon he made out of an old boat trailer or a sled for winter but I can see him hauling it out with the bucket on the loader. Even though I don't really like thumbs his should come in pretty handy as the land he's on is full of glacial till and some of the roads or trails we use have some pretty large and annoying rocks on them that we joked about making a rock wall out of. Last year he borrowed his dad's old New Holland 655 and moved some rocks that were so large the machine could hardly lift them as well he pulled some half assed buried stumps in his driveway that prevented him from grading it properly. His dad had been trying to talk me into buying this older 655 but I had found out some history as to who had originally owned it and also knew these people didn't do any maintenance on it and outright abused it. His dad overhauled the engine on it and after Jon had 'accidentally' ran it out of hydraulic oil replaced the hydraulic pump and repaired the rear valve bank on it that was leaking and would squirt your hands with hot oil from time to time. Anyway the forum's been looking a little too quiet the last couple days so I thought I'd tell a story and spark some conversation.
    Attached Files

Here is the New Holland machine that I have hummed and hawed about over the last couple years and to be truthful I still am. It will still need some TLC though and a couple extra buckets of course. Some of the pictures are of his son learning to operate it pulling boulders and stumps out of his hockey rink that's turned into a vegetable garden in the spring......the bucket sure looks like it could use a visit to the dentist and a welder. lol
    Attached Files

Comment

Get it bought!! It's a good looking machine for a starter!! A wee tidy up and it will be paying for itself!! If you can afford to buy it outright and its paid for then if there is times when it's not working you don't have to worry about it not making enough for its payments!!

Comment

Thinking about it Jim but I want to get some gainful employment first.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
          Thinking about it Jim but I want to get some gainful employment first.
          get I bought then stick in the local town with a sign saying available for hire!!

Comment

Lol I probably will Jim I just want to get a day job first so I can pay for it when times are lean.....like now. lol I'm probably going to shop around for some different buckets for it too, I'd kinda like a 4 in 1 bucket like what Rory has on his backhoe but I'd have to install a third valve for the loader.

Comment

Just wondering one thing though about the control pattern on this machine how do I switch the pattern so the boom control is on the right hand instead of the left like on an excavator? I hate switching back and forth and some backhoes I have run in the past had been switched to excavator pattern, now all the new machines seem to have joysticks that's not a problem as they usually have a switch somewhere just like the excavators do. Is it a matter of taking the control bank out and switching hoses or valve blocks around?

Comment

So my wife and I just came back from visiting my friend with the little Kubota and he's been doing quite a bit of brush clearing and related grading and rock pulling......my god the rocks there are phenomenal! Anyhow as I've been working again and have attained several tickets for working in the oil field in the western part of my home province, so I'm hoping once my work with Minsky's has calmed down for the season to go work in the oil patch building lease roads, pads, pipelines etc. and save up some money.
                Anyway getting to the point here I was talking with him that if I do make a good amount of money that I would like to procure my first machine... What I would like to do is have a small excavator ideally an eight tonner but I would settle for something as small as a 3 tonner.... though reluctantly. However with purchasing a tracked excavator I need transportation for it which adds to the cost of course, my friend has been trying to convince me to look at a loader/backhoe something like his Kubota which I think is fine for an acreage/land owner/ hobby farmer type of person. So some time ago I came across a small landscaping supply/ greenhouse place in the city that had an older North American version of the JCB 2CX which kinda intrigued me to investigate further to see if I could find a used machine to see what prices are like. So I found this one that doesn't have an extendable dipperstick but does have sideshift, a quick coupler for the loader, and a 4 in 1 bucket. Have any of you fellas owned or operated a 2CX before and if so what are your opinions and experiences of them?
                Should I run away and get this stupid idea out of my head? Or would it be a fairly reliable piece of machinery to start out with because come hell or high water (both likely possibilities from my experiences) I will get an excavator as I regard them as being the most versatile piece of earthmoving equipment on this planet. Here's a used 2CX I found on the net.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listi...x?OHID=9357955

Comment

If I was loaded I would buy one! I think it would be a great machine to have!

Comment

Yeah maybe I'll have to see how much money I've got saved up after this winter and see if the wife lets me buy one. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X