Well it's my project......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it's my project......

It the middle of summer so I'm getting ready for the winter (stock logic). We mainly use oil central heating as it allows us to return to a warm house in the evening and when arising from the scratcher in the morning. Over twelve years ago we fitted a solid fuel stove into which we put timber from what ever source we can get it, waste from site, demolition, land clearance or even purchasing forestry spruce; well considering it at the moment as other sources as getting scarce.

After long promising and threatening I decided to build myself a splitter. So I researched and looked and priced etc but two grand was a bit much to give for a factory made one, this finally helped me start. So I went around the yard collected up the bits of other people's scrap and made a start.

Used a piece of 125mm /(5") RSJ as the back bone to which I welded 150 x 10 x 1375 flat plate.
    then I made a saddle that would slide on this and attached a 100mm dia x 400mm stroke ram.

Made a set of legs from 75mm channel braced with 50mm box too which I welded 19mm round to carry two wheelbarrow wheels.

I then mounted a 1970's vintage single cylinder 3hp lister diesel engine and hydraulic pump. The pump is a Smith industries one and is belt driven from the engine. The unit is an ex military one and that is as much as I know of its history.
    The hyd tank is from a utilities Langer Rodent and the valve chest is from a rear loader off a tractor but I will be changing that to a single valve instead of the three port unit on it at the moment.

It's not finished yet but I tested it and had to make some modifications so call it a project in progress..............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Very impressive Stock, you welding types never fail to impress me and I bet that little diesel motor puts out a lot more torque than a comparable petrol motor too?

Comment

Fantastic Stock....I love the starting handle.......

Is that an old axe head you've used as the splitter?

Comment

....just spied the pedal-powered gocart in the background......I'll bet your yard is treasure trove?

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
          Fantastic Stock....I love the starting handle.......

Is that an old axe head you've used as the splitter?
          Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
          ....just spied the pedal-powered gocart in the background......I'll bet your yard is treasure trove?

No Jack not an axe head...................

The Berg cart is belongs to junior Stock......................

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
            The Berg cart is belongs to junior Stock......................
            Is he missing his motor ,and gained some pedals ? ...

Comment

Well we finished it, the little 3hp petters burns about a litre of diesel an hour, and it broken everything we put on it, except some knotted ash that was placed cross grain, the cutting axe is different from the original series of pictures. We used two 35s teeth for the axe.

My calculations show that the 100mm ram with a pressure of 2800 psi generates 18.7 ton of force, I have also procured a 90mm ram which my calculations show to be 6.2 ton less than the larger ram.

Thus far we have split over 13 cubic meters of timber with this.

I will of course keep you abreast of any new changes I make in the future.............

Stock

Comment

International Drott Red ,And JCB110 drott Yellow .Magnificent choice of colors .

Comment

Try Massey Red with Massey Yellow......................drotts...............m y assssssssssssssss..............

Comment

Comment

Lol! Feeling pretty satisfied with your project Stock?

Comment

http://s760.photobucket.com/user/sto...9c5c9.mp4.html

Comment

Very impressive - probably a couple of grands worth of kit if you bought it off the shelf

Comment

Hi Stock very impressed with your spliter as you know needs to be strong to split across the grain

Was asked today if i could make one but wanted to split 10' lengths into 4 pieces so they will go in his processor

Mogg
                            If I have to explain you wouldn't understand

Comment

Thanks Mogg,
                              Praise from one of your engineering prowess is notable indeed...................my Thanks....

Comment

Working...
                              X