Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Kobota 3 Cylinder engine has rattle

Hi

Is anyone very familiar with repairs or what wears out in old Kobota 3 cylinder D1301/BH engines. My 1985 digger has covered 5000 hours (thats approx 175,000 miles in car miles). Still starts and runs well, doesn't smoke or use oil but does have a rattle from within the engine that is always there. If I new better I would say worn timing chain. But according to the manual it doesn't have one and camshaft is driven by gears. Putting a screwdriver to listen to areas hasn't convinced me where abouts but it's not the alternator, water pump. May go on for years but peace of mind would be good and someone who has worked on these may add some value.

Could be a main crank shell, but unlikely, and wont be a big end shell if its still got power, is it a grinding .. or a cyclic rattle in time with a cylinder?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Rattle on Kobota 3 Cyl Engine

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Could be a main crank shell, but unlikely, and wont be a big end shell if its still got power, is it a grinding .. or a cyclic rattle in time with a cylinder?
      It's a cyclic rattle in time with a cylinder.

The rattle was there when I purchased this old digger last year. Since then I have changed all the filters and oil. Being a self builder its not doing many hours but peace of mind would be good.

Rattle is similar to some old diesel car engines that always sounded like a bag of spanners from new so could even be a feature. I did think of checking the tappets but not convinced thats the cause of the rattle.

Ideas welcome

Comment

Alot of those older engines had a rattle in them from new, brother has a b2100 and it sounds like a bag of ball bearings in in a spin dryer.............
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
        X