No announcement yet.

JCB 801 loss of power and conking out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 801 loss of power and conking out.

Hello All,

I've had to do a lot of excavation of bedrock to facilitate a new extension we'll be starting shortly. I've had to hire in a Kubota U17 and breaker to break everything out as it was simply too expensive to get a firm in to do it for me. Because we've got restricted access to the rear of the house its been a long and tricky business getting the 110+ tonnes of rock out to the front and a grab lorry. A friend has kindly lent his old 801 so that I can chipping away at it (no pun intended) without the pressure of hire periods and extra costs.

Unfortunately, as with all his tools, its not in the best condition and I could do with some advice on what I can do to get it some where near half decent running condition. My thinking is, If I spend a bit on it, but save compared to hire costs, and he gets his machine back in better condition, then we both benefit.

I have found the Perkins 103-10 workshop manual, but cant find the 801 manual anywhere. I did see a chap on this site has it in PDF and excitedly contact him requesting it. Reading the rest of the post I then saw that he has stipulated that people only request it after posting ten times as people were taking advantage. I fully respect his stance, so don't expect to receive it any time soon. Also, I have no idea where to find the serial number - I have had a look around but I cant see it anywhere so if someone could suggest where to look it will probably help with my queries.

Problems with it are;

Firstly, on Thursday a red light came up and the machine cut out. It was stupidly hot, particularly as the area I'm working in is a sheltered sun trap and is a bit like cauldron (I cant wait until it becomes a patio!). The light showed as a thermometer with heat-wave "wiggles" superimposed. I cant find any symbol glossary for JCB's but suspect this is just general engine temp. There's another warning light on the dash (that hasn't lit up yet) that I think is to do with hydraulics - a bubble flask thing with an arrow either side pointing inwards. Am I right in thinking the warning light was to do with the temperature?

In general use, although more pronounced when its a hot day, the machine starts to lose power under load and the engine strains (sometimes it cuts out) If I ease up then it will recover, but only temporarily, and if I keep working it will progressively get worse. For the last few days I've managed it by working until it starts to show the symptoms. Turning the machine off for an hour and doing something else whilst it cools and then coming back for another shift.

Lastly, the tracks are not that responsive in that the there inst much grunt getting to them. When trying to turn, there is little power to the left track so maneuvering is a bit tricky in tight spots.

From what I've read on other posts, I suspect that the power lose/straining issue may be something to do with blocked filters (hopefully). I've checked the hydraulic level and the filter and they seem fine, and the fluid looks in good condition. That leaves the air, oil and fuel filters.

The air filter has clear seen a lot better days, so could do with changing. The problem is there is a rubble "baffle" or flange on the metal casing, presumable to allow any water to escape. This has perished, so air is getting straight in to the chamber from over the exhaust. I wonder if its worth replacing the filter if I cant also replace the rubber flange to stop hot/"dirty?" air getting in. Unfortunately, without the manual I cant find a part code for the flange to source a new one.

The engine oil is terrible. Its clearly not be changed in a long time so presumably the filter is in the same state. I'll change both as good practice. Is there a gauze or something similar somewhere else that I should also look to clean?

The fuel filter is a Lucas cassette type. I plan to change that as well, but am not sure where to bleed the air from on completion. Also, The Perkins manual shows that there is a pre-filter between the tank and feed pump - where is this, as I cant see identify it in the engine bay?

I appreciate that this is not anything like a full service, but hopefully doing the bits described will improve matters and will at least rule things out if the problem still persists. If anyone can redirect me to a more obvious cause then please speak up.

As for the track I have no idea, so any opinions would be appreciated.

One last thing. There is a part see-through casing between the two rear weights, right at the front of the engine bay (back of the machine) and at low level. It has fluid in it though I cant be sure if its fuel or oil. I would suspect that this is a fuel filter casing/housing from pictures I've seen, except that there is a rubber pipe about 30cm long that comes out of one gland and immediately returns to another. The system has no other incoming or outgoing tubing and appears closed off to the rest of the system - it just seems odd?! Anyone got any ideas?

Wow, I didnt expect the post to be this long, but hopefully some of you have managed to get to the end - thank you for your time and interest.

Regards,

Matt.

Sounds like it needs a good shift through the workshop to be honest ! Are you wiling to spend the money though if its not your machine?

I'm not a JCB owner so cant comment on filter locations , but all your concerns are standard service items.

If we start with the overheating, there could be 2 main reasons, the first being that the radiator is blocked, you will need access to the face of it to clean it properly, there are other posts here about doing this with Volvo ec 15's ..... the same rules apply. You may also have a slack or poorly fitting fan belt. Have a search for those posts, and try that first and see if we can get that problem out of the way first. I assume the coolant levels are ok ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yep , What Muz Said .

Comment

​I bought an 801 A month ago and getting identification wasn't easy. you'll find a number dye stamped into casting to the right of the slew viewing from front. My machine it turns out is 89 and there was a problem when contacting jcb agents to get i.d I phoned three and all three agents gave me different numbers and it was only when talking to third spares dept did I express my exasperation did he pass me to an old hand who explained the computer incompatibility with earlier machine and how the numbers don't show up. Hope that helps. Good luck

Comment

It cut out due to overheating as that's a safety thing I believe.

As for the light you are referring too with the oil droplet and the arrows that's engine oil NOT hydraulic oil.

Being a JCB owner you get to know these things

Comment

As Muz says - clean the fins on both the engine coolant and Hydraulic oil radiators - it makes an enormous difference.
            Check out this link for more details. ..go towards the bottom of the page for the stuff on the radiator.

Comment

Cheers to all!

Thanks to all for your replies.

I'll try and find the serial number.

Geoff Rush kindly forwarded the 801 manual yesterday, so I've been going through that which has bee really useful.

The radiator is clear, and coolant level is OK. I may flush it through though to be sure it's not just blocked and sat there.

I'll look for the hydraulic rad and see what state thats in.

I've got fuel and oil filters ordered so will swap them out anyway.

I went to switch it on yesterday and it turned over but won't fire now. Hoping it's fuel supply as I bled it and one of the injectors wasn't pushing any fuel out.

Will let you know how I get on with it.

Matt.

Comment

Working...
              X