land drain blocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• land drain blocked

I have a blocked land drain, do I go above blockage and get water coming up, or below and have water running in, or dig down over where water is coming out of ground?

This will my first time trying to sort a blocked drain and would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been there before.

Cheers
    Pete

Well Pete it is difficult to diagnose the issue without having the boots on the ground. .............But here goes with a few questions
    1. What type of pipe work is it, land drain pipe, 110 waste pipe, black duct pipe, clay or concrete...
    2. Is there stone around the pipe?
    3. How long is the drain there?
    4. Are there trees close by?
    5. What type of soil is there?
    6. At what depth is the pipe?
    7. Is the pipe draining anything else besides the field around it?
    8. Do you have a set of drain rods or a cobra reel?
    9. What level of skill have you ?
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hi Stock

1. Looks like 100 mm plastic perforated.
      2. Not checked yet to see if there is any stone.
      3. I think my predecessor put it in about 15/20 years ago.
      4. Nearest tree (oak) about 40 meters away.
      5. Soil will be clay.
      6. No idea as yet to the depth of pipe.
      7. Pie runs from a pond about 140 meters down to a ditch, water coming up pretty much in the middle. (typical)
      8. Have drain rods (not enough though), never heard of a cobra (thought it was a snake, but guess your pic is one)?
      9. Only had digger 12 months, so far only cleaned out ditches and dug a few gate posts in.
      Don't have problem digging it just wondered how to cope with the water coming up.
      Should also add quite a bit of water is coming up onto the surface, and its raining again now.

Cheers Pete

Comment

Pete you need to know where to dig. The snake /cobra are available to hire so run it up the pipe until you find the obstruction. then remove it and lay it on the ground to find where to dig.
        Then of course the cobra might dislodge the obstruction.
        If you have copious amounts of water it will need to be removed, you can pump it or dig a diversion trench, but this will have to remain open as if the ground is that wet, if you back fill it it will become a puddle of scutter.
        Worst case scenario you might need to replace the whole pipe, if so leave it till drier weather.
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hi Stock
          I was thinking that the water must be coming up where the pipe is blocked, but on thinking about it the water will come up at the point of least resistance which in theory could 40/50 meter's from blockage, I have a length of 25mm water pipe, may try to push that up and see what happens.
          If that fails will look into cobra idea.
          Thanks for input.
          Pete

Comment

start

myself i would start where the water is escaping ,as if it can get out , crap can get in so it needs sorting anyway , then you can rod downstream and hopefully find the blockage if its not already also in the hole you have dug

Comment

Working...
            X