Calculating volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating volume

Right guys I hate calculating volume I.e concrete for a shed base or something! What techniques if any do you all use? For some reason I am not the most confidant that my answer is right and the worst thing is being short as you come to the end of a job!!

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
    Right guys I hate calculating volume I.e concrete for a shed base or something! What techniques if any do you all use? For some reason I am not the most confidant that my answer is right and the worst thing is being short as you come to the end of a job!!
    Volume for rectangles is always lxbxh how much material you need to fill that is down to its density there's is a post here somewhere by stock that lists a huge range of material densities

circles or cylinders are pi r 2 x h
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Jim doing shutters one can be reasonably accurate on the volume of concrete, but a pour on the flat that a completely different story.

As Muz says it is lenght by breath by depth/height. I normally shoot a few levels and make an average for the depth

so a yard 7m x 7m with and average depth of 150mm

7X7=49X.15=7.35m

now I would round this up to 8m3 which is a full bottle.

yahoo my 1500 post......must have spouted some drivel to achieve this.......................
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hi Stock maybe a congrats. card from the queen??

Lots of great info, keep it coming.

Comment

I Find it hard when you do it from bulk bags working out how much I need! But I prefer to over order slightly I was always told it better looking at it than looking for it!

Comment

I Find it hard when you do it from bulk bags working out how much I need! But I prefer to over order slightly I was always told it better looking at it than looking for it!
            Why? Which material are you talking about?

Comment

Usually concrete mix! If I am pouring a base. Later in the week I am doing another shed base 3 meter x 3.6 meter approx .100 deep

Comment

Well down our way you couldnt get a small load like that from a jaeger .. you'd need to use the spot mix boys with barrows, and spread it as you go, that means you wouldn't waste any. Id always get a spare barrow shot beside the pour though in case of unseen settlement in corners etc
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Usually concrete mix! If I am pouring a base. Later in the week I am doing another shed base 3 meter x 3.6 meter approx .100 deep
                  Well that comes in a 1.08 cu meters Jim. The real trick here is to make sure the hardcore is a level as possible. On that size of a base use a stepped screed to get the hard core level spot on.
                  Are you hand mixing this?

If you are a cubic meter of concrete is 2.2 ton
                  Using a mix of 1:2:4

Cement = 345 kg
                  Sand = 645kg
                  Aggregate = 1296kg
                  Water = 190l

http://www.cashbuild.co.za/Concrete_...ix_on_Site.php

Comment

Yeah it will be an hand mix out of ton bags of aggregate!

Comment

Yeah it will be an hand mix out of ton bags of aggregate!
                      a pan pan mixer would be a good addition for your tractor Jim if your doing much concreting . Not to expensive either It doesn't save much money priced against ready mix in lorries but it gives you more control .

vin
                      ps how's form with you?

Comment

I did think a pan mixer would be handy but I dunno if I could justify it!

things been going well, what you been doing?

Comment

I did think a pan mixer would be handy but I dunno if I could justify it!

things been going well, what you been doing?
                          going good Jim

i got a tiltrotator on the komatsu now . Working up in Scourie at the moment , it's a bit of a trek up but a beautiful place to work.
                          How's the mini going ?

Vin

Comment

Scourie? Where that and what you doing?

mini is going fine done over 300 hours since middle of June with it! Would of been mone but have hired in some digger and used them!

Comment

Scourie? Where that and what you doing?

mini is going fine done over 300 hours since middle of June with it! Would of been mone but have hired in some digger and used them!
                              It's north of lochinver on the west coast I think Muz has been known to frequent the area but I could be wrong
                              We are doing a renovation on a house . It's only 11 years old but the guy who bought it wants to revamp it completely .
                              Up untill a week ago we had about six weeks in front of us, in a couple of days 2 jobs we have priced have come in so we will now be busy all year
                              What work you been doing Jim ? Did Paul from Logie cold stone get in touch ?

Vin

Comment

Working...
                              X