Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Splitters

(Split from Wee Jims thread)

Hmmmm .. that splitter has given me a few ideas ... I built my last tractor mounted one from the boom of an old KX41 digger .. but I can see a new plan forming here on the basis someone has just donated an old ram to me plus I spotted a bit of 'H' beam the other day in the yard that shouted 'build something out of me' over and over again I feel a thread coming on
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Originally posted by Muz View Post
    Hmmmm .. that splitter has given me a few ideas ... I built my last tractor mounted one from the boom of an old KX41 digger .. but I can see a new plan forming here on the basis someone has just donated an old ram to me plus I spotted a bit of 'H' beam the other day in the yard that shouted 'build something out of me' over and over again I feel a thread coming on

Well I'm available to advise and consult if you want....................
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
      Well I'm available to advise and consult if you want....................
      Well .. accomplished as I am... I think I'll take you up on that dude .. now what I'm thinking is how to get a digger with its 'average power' to split an entire log 8 ways ? you think we could do that ?

not like this one

Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Well .. accomplished as I am... I think I'll take you up on that dude .. now what I'm thinking is how to get a digger with its 'average power' to split an entire log 8 ways ? you think we could do that ?

not like this one

[video=youtube;SZ2VLDN3Eig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2VLDN3Eig
        Problem with that is you would burn as much as you would break.............

You can break anyway amount of ways if you have the tonnage, so you achieve this two ways,

High pressure X area or medium pressure X 2area.
        simples it is.

this yoke has two rams pushing makes quick work of the rings...........now the owner does say that the pump is weak on the digger.....................

Comment

Nuttin fancy about the build but it seems to work well ..

Heres an extreme example, but.. the question is how to get this much power from the pushing end, with only basic gear and average pressures.

I am minded that the ram specs themselves are pretty important

Comment

Look at the speed this guy is going at ... bet he checks his fingers after each shift

The impressive thing is how small the powerplant is

Looks like fairly easy stuff to split too

Comment

heres another .. non hydraulic

Comment

This is quite impressive for minimal power .. and he gives you the specs

This is similar but he fits a 4 way adapter ... coool

Comment

Muz,
                  I built one last year using a single cylinder diesel engine, horizontal pusher plate to an axehead made from bucket teeth, lovely machine for blocks of 6" to 8" but the big slabs I got this year were not possible to load and hold until they are split.http://vid760.photobucket.com/albums...ps1359b10a.mp4

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...id=zRDYQfI6Jss

Comment

Look at this comparison though

Comment

Here we go .. same old design started but.. with a few twists

Img_2874.jpg

Someone donated a ram to me a while ago

Comment

When I tried it .. the ram I was given didnt work .. so I stripped it and replaced its main seal from some stuff I had lying about the workshop .. all was then good ... I tried a few splits and was well impressed .. I was worried that because it was only a 30 mm rod, it wouldn't really have any power .. but I've maximised its potential due to my knife design more to follow

Comment

You might need to gusset the pin ears Muz to stop them spreading and to transfer the load to the RSJ. Some thing like the modified photo below........either the red or blue should achieve what I after....................

Muz splitter aa1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                              You might need to gusset the pin ears Muz to stop them spreading and to transfer the load to the RSJ. Some thing like the modified photo below........either the red or blue should achieve what I after....................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2328[/ATTACH]
                              Agreed will do .. what I was doing intially, was setting up the basic frame to see if this ram was going to generate enough power to be worth while .. so I didnt want to box up any sections because fitting a different ram would mean cutting out the bosses and re setting everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X