Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem removing radiator on Yanmar mini digger

Hi, I am trying to get help my dad.
    He recently bought an old Yanmar mini digger/excavator but needs to change one of the core plugs/freeze plugs(middle core) behind fuel pump. The thing is he can't get access to the middle plug because of the radiator is in the way. He has tried taking the radiator out but it just wont come out!

My question is: has anyone had a similar problem with these machines and does it have to come out a certain way?

Sorry I don't know the exact model of the digger but it looks like this one

Hi & welcome to the forum Sadly when these things are built, the designers never really take account of what will go wrong and how they need to be fixed. Often there is a modular design system that usually starts on a frame, gets the engine plonked in and ends with the cab, so the obvious answer is to do that in reverse, but it would take for ever.

Usually it can be worked out. Heres a few pointers.

Removing guards rear door cover, and unbolting side panels,counter weights, engine exhaust, belly panels, as much as possible to allow access to the whole engine, not just the bit you are focusing on

Often the engine is bolted to a 'tray' that can be moved once enough ancilliary bits have been removed, such as air filters and lines, hydraulic pumps, fuel filter systems etc allowing it to be moved out enough to get access to where you want

Also .. Is there an access panel behind the operators seat ?

I had a series of old Kubota kx41's where the radiator had to come out to be re-cored and they were a pain as there was a guard all the way around the fan that was bolted on, you needed the hands of a 5 year old to get to them .. the secret to it was removing the fan blade its self, as it 'just' gave enough access and no more to get your hand round the back to get to them. But to get to the blade was a job in its self .. good luck .. persevere and you will win .. take some pics and we'll see if we can help some more
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Hi & welcome to the forum Sadly when these things are built, the designers never really take account of what will go wrong and how they need to be fixed. Often there is a modular design system that usually starts on a frame, gets the engine plonked in and ends with the cab, so the obvious answer is to do that in reverse, but it would take for ever.

Usually it can be worked out. Heres a few pointers.

Removing guards rear door cover, and unbolting side panels,counter weights, engine exhaust, belly panels, as much as possible to allow access to the whole engine, not just the bit you are focusing on

Often the engine is bolted to a 'tray' that can be moved once enough ancilliary bits have been removed, such as air filters and lines, hydraulic pumps, fuel filter systems etc allowing it to be moved out enough to get access to where you want

Also .. Is there an access panel behind the operators seat ?

I had a series of old Kubota kx41's where the radiator had to come out to be re-cored and they were a pain as there was a guard all the way around the fan that was bolted on, you needed the hands of a 5 year old to get to them .. the secret to it was removing the fan blade its self, as it 'just' gave enough access and no more to get your hand round the back to get to them. But to get to the blade was a job in its self .. good luck .. persevere and you will win .. take some pics and we'll see if we can help some more

Ah B15! On this model the engine cover is one piece, and fitted over the engine before the cab is put on! Even on the canopy version it's a bit of a job, the easiest way would be to use gantry crane to lift off the cab, you need to get the cab out of the way as the engine cover lifts off vertically until it clears the radiator. On site we once used a telehandler to lift off the cab and two days later put it back on!

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick-the-fitter View Post
        Ah B15! On this model the engine cover is one piece, and fitted over the engine before the cab is put on! Even on the canopy version it's a bit of a job, the easiest way would be to use gantry crane to lift off the cab, you need to get the cab out of the way as the engine cover lifts off vertically until it clears the radiator. On site we once used a telehandler to lift off the cab and two days later put it back on!

Mick
        .. the hard way it is then .. Ive seen some tough fu**ers in my time .. but that one sounds a bitch
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          .. the hard way it is then .. Ive seen some tough fu**ers in my time .. but that one sounds a bitch
          Yeh just a bit, an engine out job is even worse, zero tail machines even more difficult than that!

Mick

Comment

Working...
          X