Planking on the job ,and sacked .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planking on the job ,and sacked .

TWO men who planked at work and posted the photos on Facebook have been fined $1500 each and escaped conviction in a landmark court case yesterday.
    Former workmates, Stewart Kift, 49, and 28-year-old Cameron Denbesten, were charged under the occupational health and safety act for not taking reasonable care for themselves and others in their workplace.
    Mr Denbesten posted four photos on his Facebook page of himself and Mr Kift planking on a forklift and a painting booth in their workplace on May 16.
    The two men were working for Ebara Pumps, in Bayswater, in Melbourne when they took the photos.
    The court was told WorkSafe was tipped off to the photos by a member of the public and Mr Kift and Mr Denbesten were interviewed by WorkSafe officers just four days later.
    Both pleaded guilty to the charges and said the behavior was "pure stupidity" when interviewed.
    Magistrate Max Cashmore said he took into account the character references provided for the two men and their financial situations when determining the penalty.
    Worksafe prosecutor Patrick McQuillen said the case was not about planking but about workplace safety.
    A spokesman for Ebara Pumps, who did not wish to be named, said he was not aware of the behaviour before seeing the photos.
    "The fact that they're no longer employed is comment enough," he said.
    "It was taken very seriously and the appropriate action was taken."
    Planking was a short-lived global fad early this year in which people lay horizontally in unusual places.

Celebrities joined in the antics, including Sam Newman, who planked across the balcony of his high-rise apartment in Port Melbourne.

Facebook pages filled with photos of plankers sprung up, including Planking Australia which had over 170,000 members.

Brisbane man Acton Beale died in May after he fell from the balcony of a unit block while planking.

Another 20-year-old Brisbane man who planked on a police car was fined $500 after he was charged with being found on a police establishment without lawful excuse.

At the same time Woolworths sacked eight employees, including two Victorian meatworkers, who planked on work equipment and shelving.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/s...-1226132294263

Wonder how long before the HSA / HSE cop on and do the same............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

What a load of garbage, that safety bullshit is going waaaaay to far. That guy who fell had it coming but planking on something like forklift tines come on shoot those safety people now you can't even have fun at work because of these people I would of fought that fine and do everything possible to discredit these stupid safety idiots.

Comment

You would be surprised at the stupidity of some of the bureaucrats and public sector workers here now ,there are fun and thought Police everywhere .
        I recall a event recently where an inmate escaped from detention ,Police could not release a name or photo of the individual for fear of breaching privacy laws ,
        that story is true and so ridiculous it defies all logic ,but sadly this is the way our country is headed .

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
          What a load of garbage, that safety bullshit is going waaaaay to far. That guy who fell had it coming but planking on something like forklift tines come on shoot those safety people now you can't even have fun at work because of these people I would of fought that fine and do everything possible to discredit these stupid safety idiots.
          Lets step back and look at this from an alternative point of view, You are a supervisor / employer when some person of limited intelligence falls from a stationary forklift tower.
          the result,
          Minor injury..........the crew get together have a chat bit of craic, 15min gone 15x4 is an hour of time lost.
          medium injury .............taken to doctor, maybe X ray.... cost; loss of production, etc
          Serious injury......... hospital costs, investigation, legal costs, insurance hike, fines criminal record,. ......
          death.............. as above...........and some

Now as an employer /supervisor you are responsible because some plonker wants to have a bit of fun at work. When I had my own business I had two claims the insurance paid out 22k approx, I paid a lot more.
          Folks it not funny when the wigs get you on the stand and the seeming minor innocent detail that was omitted becomes point the liability shifts to your shoulders............not nice at all................

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
            Lets step back and look at this from an alternative point of view, You are a supervisor / employer when some person of limited intelligence falls from a stationary forklift tower.
            the result,
            Minor injury..........the crew get together have a chat bit of craic, 15min gone 15x4 is an hour of time lost.
            medium injury .............taken to doctor, maybe X ray.... cost; loss of production, etc
            Serious injury......... hospital costs, investigation, legal costs, insurance hike, fines criminal record,. ......
            death.............. as above...........and some

Now as an employer /supervisor you are responsible because some plonker wants to have a bit of fun at work. When I had my own business I had two claims the insurance paid out 22k approx, I paid a lot more.
            Folks it not funny when the wigs get you on the stand and the seeming minor innocent detail that was omitted becomes point the liability shifts to your shoulders............not nice at all................
            I totally agree .. but you cant legislate for idiots, and surely the agent / supervisor should'nt be fined for a couple of guys messing about when his back is turned ( if that was the case) I mean its not a kindergarten hes running ? At least in the top post, it was the guys that copped it .. now was it a harsh decision ? thats another matter I suppose

Comment

OK of course safety in the workplace is a serious matter , but at times thing get a little out of hand and lean to the absurd ..

What say ye about this case which was in the news recently ......

Australian Woman Sues for Worker's Compensation After Sex Injury on Business Trip

An Australian woman who got injured while having sex during a business trip is suing her government employer for compensation. The on-the-clock romp involved her male acquaintance — and had no connection to her job whatsoever.
              The incident, however, did occur in a motel room that the employer had paid for. During sexual intercourse, a glass light fitting tore from the wall above the bed and struck her face. She is claiming physical injuries to her nose, mouth and a tooth, as well as "a consequent psychiatric injury."

The woman, an Australian government employee who has not been identified, is suing because the 2007 incident occurred “during the course of her employment." ComCare, the Australian government's workplace safety organization, initially rejected her compensation claim because sex is not “an ordinary activity,” such as showering, sleeping or eating.
              The woman's attorney disagrees. Suffering harm or damage during recreational sex “is no different than slipping over in the shower or being bashed by a gang of thugs, said her Lawyer/Barrister , who also added that injuries sustained from work-related drinking or socializing have been compensated.

Last edited by Wazza; 10-09-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                OK of course safety in the workplace is a serious matter , but at times thing get a little out of hand and lean to the absurd ..

What say ye about this case which was in the news recently ......

Australian Woman Sues for Worker's Compensation After Sex Injury on Business Trip

An Australian woman who got injured while having sex during a business trip is suing her government employer for compensation. The on-the-clock romp involved her male acquaintance — and had no connection to her job whatsoever.
                The incident, however, did occur in a motel room that the employer had paid for. During sexual intercourse, a glass light fitting tore from the wall above the bed and struck her face. She is claiming physical injuries to her nose, mouth and a tooth, as well as "a consequent psychiatric injury."

The woman, an Australian government employee who has not been identified, is suing because the 2007 incident occurred “during the course of her employment." ComCare, the Australian government's workplace safety organization, initially rejected her compensation claim because sex is not “an ordinary activity,” such as showering, sleeping or eating.
                The woman's attorney disagrees. Suffering harm or damage during recreational sex “is no different than slipping over in the shower or being bashed by a gang of thugs, said her Lawyer/Barrister , who also added that injuries sustained from work-related drinking or socializing have been compensated.

I think her lawyer needs to take a cold bath and wise up a bit
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Most definitely a frivolous case, but the wig will get paid either through a nuisance settlement or by his client............

Comment

Working...
                  X