Autumn wild fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn wild fires

Lately it's been pretty dry out here the last time it rained here was about two weeks ago and I guess the ground just soaked it up like a sponge plus we've been having some unusually warm weather for this time of year over 30 degrees celsius one day. On my way home from work on Tuesday night a small lightning storm went through and started a number of grass fires in an area that's partly grassland and poplar bush, then the wind came up and over the course of the next three days it didn't stop. To the point where Friday night it was gusting up to 90 km/h and the glow from the fires could be seen from dozens of miles away. Finally by ten thirty-eleven o' clock Friday night the wind started to let off and lose some steam while the weather cooled down. We drove around a little bit yesterday and today trying to see if we could see any of the action and we weren't disappointed, water bombers and bird dog spotter planes were flying around trying to slow down and even stop the advance of any more grass fires, most prior firefighting efforts were just evacuation, road blocks, and protecting property but now have switched to actually extinguishing the numerous fires and even more numerous hotspots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1eafBiI1QDSCN3649.jpgDSCN3702.jpgDSCN3659.jpgDSCN3658.jpgDSCN3655.jpgDSCN3653.jpgDSCN3652.jpgDSCN3651.jpg
    Attached Files

It takes some stopping those fires once they get the wind behind them . We have the same trouble over here ..Was the Grassland cattle country ?
    At the moment ,there is an arsehole going round lighting fires all around the area , Still have not caught whoever is responsible yet .

Comment

Yeah quite a bit of it is Cattle ranch land and also there are quite a few hog barns in the area. So at least with the hog barns you've got the nice smell of smoke instead of pig shite all the time. lol But looking out my window it never rained last night but the clouds to the west are pretty dark so hopefully it means rain for the firefighters and farmers out that way.

Comment

Well it wasn't me .......but having said that an acquaintance of mine did land in Canada last Friday.............
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

What part of Canada Stock? The only country we don't dwarf in size is Russia and it takes about 5 days to drive from one side to the other....without sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            What part of Canada Stock? The only country we don't dwarf in size is Russia and it takes about 5 days to drive from one side to the other....without sleeping.
            Might want to get a faster car..............
            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Sure if your paying for the speeding tickets. lol

Comment

So Bert Whats the Speed limit up your way ?. A friend of mine was in the states recently ,and drove a moving van with his daughters furniture from Boston to California. He said the speed limit on the freeways was 75 MPH ,and was Whinging that the truck only did 72 MPH .
                Here, The Speed limit on Freeway ,And there is none of them up this neck of the woods is 110 KPH . Normal highways is 100 KPH. When there is an accident caused by the crappy roads , Instead of fixing the road , They drop the speed limit.

Comment

Lol sounds like here we have lots of crappy roads that they won't fix. On the TransCanada through much of the Prairies it's a 110 km/h. But most of our highways it's either 90 km/h or 100 km/h. Through northern Ontario where the TransCanada highway 17 goes through it's only 90 km/h because the Provincial Government there is to retarded to four lane that highway.

Comment

I guess Canada has the same trouble Australia has TOO Bloody Big b, And not enough people to pay to do all it . The only place you find 4 lane roads here is with in 100 Klms of brisbane . I live 2 and a half Kms from Highway one, A two lane goat track. To the west of us is Major Coal mines So there are always Wide loads Heading out the mines .When you see a 8 Mt wide Dump truck heading towards you and the National Highway One is 8 mts wide there can be problems .

Comment

Lol, no doubt but luckily here big huge trucks like that are not allowed on our highways they would crush them and probably get stuck. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X