May have ballsed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have ballsed up

Hi guys newbie here, at least on this forum.

I have a rather large garden and a lot planned for it so got me a 1997 JCB 8014 and since read some bad stuff about this model on here. Have I ballsed up?

I have to say that it seems great, nice and tight for its age, no leaks and does what its supposed to. The only thing I can see is when the outer boom is extended the bucket drops, what might this be? worn spool?

looking forward to some healthy debate.

Hi Rob .. welcome to the forum .. I'm sure you will be fine, .. it might cost you a bit more to run it if you were working it hard for a living, but I'm sure for your application it will do fine. Might throw up a stupid problem now and again as only JCB's can .. but it will be fixable.. just err... give us a shout .... when it does

And yes it sounds like a spool valve is allowing oil to bypass on the boom lift side, although it could also be bypassing the seal pack inside the ram. The way to check that, is to support the bucket with the machine stopped, release the pressure on the ram, and connect both sides of the ram together, kick away the support and see if the ram drops, over time., it will ofcourse drop immediately because youve opend the circuit up and resealed it, but check it over a period of several hours,.. if it doesent drop, then the fault will be with the spool, or a primary relief valve.
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Hi Rob .. welcome to the forum .. I'm sure you will be fine, .. it might cost you a bit more to run it if you were working it hard for a living, but I'm sure for your application it will do fine. Might throw up a stupid problem now and again as only JCB's can .. but it will be fixable.. just err... give us a shout .... when it does

And yes it sounds like a spool valve is allowing oil to bypass on the boom lift side, although it could also be bypassing the seal pack inside the ram. The way to check that, is to support the bucket with the machine stopped, release the pressure on the ram, and connect both sides of the ram together, kick away the support and see if the ram drops, over time., it will ofcourse drop immediately because youve opend the circuit up and resealed it, but check it over a period of several hours,.. if it doesent drop, then the fault will be with the spool, or a primary relief valve.

Hi Muz, thanks for the warm welcome and the advice I will check that. Where do I go around here for some reasonably priced parts etc? I like this wee machine and would like to brighten it up to its mechanical state, I need a back plastic engine cover and the rest is just some patient sanding cleaning and painting to make it look topper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob-b View Post
        Where do I go around here for some reasonably priced parts etc? I like this wee machine and would like to brighten it up to its mechanical state, I need a back plastic engine cover and the rest is just some patient sanding cleaning and painting to make it look topper.
        Hi Rob welcome to the forum mate. Many things like tracks and undercarriage bits you can get aftermarket no problem, but some bits you will still need to get from JCB. How badly damaged is the bonnet ? You can easily get some resin and glass fibre matt, then use filler and repair those guys no problem, unless its really goosed.

Comment

Welcome there Rob-B no I don't think you have balled up as that machine was made in the good times and has little or no witchcraft in in. Now you must post a pic or two for us to advise you ..........................................
          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hi Dan and Stock

thank you for the warm welcome guys, the cover looks like a rotocast unit in yellow, would you guys repair this with fibre glass and do a repspray on it?

Comment

Another pic Stock.

Comment

Hehe .....you just got a itty bitty hole here Dans glass fibre and resin suggestion will patch that, then some P38 over the top, sanded down when dry and painted.. you wont know it was ever holed

*Edit * seein that last pic fella when ye have her jacked up.. let her down real easy would ya ?

You would land in an expensive world of hurt if your track motors hut the deck hard
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

A fine straight example Rob is the hole all the damage? then get out da resin and fillers with some fine wet & dry paper and you'll make it right..........................

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! I am a JCB man like you so lets stick together!!

Comment

Did you fix her yet Jim??

Comment

Welcome Rob , Good to have another member onboard .

Comment

Hehe .....you just got a itty bitty hole here Dans glass fibre and resin suggestion will patch that, then some P38 over the top, sanded down when dry and painted.. you wont know it was ever holed

*Edit * seein that last pic fella when ye have her jacked up.. let her down real easy would ya ?

You would land in an expensive world of hurt if your track motors hut the deck hard

Good advice Dan thanks, this is the advert for the digger and not me doing the dancing in there, will head your advice though.

Comment

Sound advice Muz, this is the advert showing its strength, not me doing the dancing in it, with heed your advice for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                              A fine straight example Rob is the hole all the damage? then get out da resin and fillers with some fine wet & dry paper and you'll make it right..........................

Yeh she's in good shape really, this is the only damage, so looks like I can save a rake of cash by just doing a fibre glass repair job, sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X